Burwell Hall has stood as a much beloved, iconic landmark since its construction in 1914 when Queens moved to the current Myers Park campus. In its 100 years of existence, Burwell Hall has housed Queens' library, dining hall, kitchen, literary society halls, classrooms, administrative offices and countless social gatherings.
Throughout its history, the building has remained a focal point of campus activity, undergoing periodic cosmetic and functional updates to serve Queens faithfully in its progression from a women's college of around 100 students in 1914 to today's comprehensive, co-educational university of 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students.
As this beloved building celebrates a century at the literal and figurative center of campus, it is poised to move into the next 100 years and beyond. Plans have been put in place to construct a terrace from Burwell Hall that will create a new functional space on campus, enabling activity typically housed in Burwell Hall's parlors to extend into the green, shaded beauty and serenity of the residential quad. This addition will enhance the overall feel of the residential quad, making it a more inviting space for all to enjoy.
"The terrace will provide ideal space for an outdoor classroom, studying and social gatherings. It will also provide a beautiful, memorable setting for special events including commencement, receptions and reunions."
- Queens President Pamela Davies
Burwell Terrace will be made possible thanks to long-time supporters, alumna and Trustee Jan Hall Brown '73 MBA '84 and her husband Ed. Throughout the years, Jan and Ed's generosity has included a gift to the "Investing in Queens Future" campaign and scholarship support through their Hope and Pat Hall Scholarship fund.
Construction on the 3,500-square-foot terrace is scheduled to begin in May 2014. In addition to the terrace itself, bathrooms will be added to the first floor of Burwell Hall and the building will become handicapped accessible. As with other recent campus additions, the terrace will remain true in style to the Georgian architecture of Queens' five original buildings designed by C.C. Hook.