Nursing – Certified Nurse Aide I Training Program
The Certified Nurse Aide I training program prepares students to provide superior healthcare services in the highly demanded field of nursing. This course is designed for individuals interested in pursuing a career as a certified nursing assistant (CNA) or to meet the requirements for nursing school admissions. Nurse Aide I training is required for admission into most nursing schools, including Queens.
This course consists of classroom, lab and clinical training, and all instructors are experienced RNs that possess at minimum a BSN degree. The program is open to individuals in the community, as well as those entering the Presbyterian School of Nursing program at Queens or other local nursing programs.
At the end of this course, students will take a comprehensive written exam in preparation for their state certification exam. (NOTE: The state certification exam is scheduled by students independently of the training program and is not included in the course price. You do not become a certified nursing assistant/nurse aide until you pass the state certification exam.)
BEFORE registering for this class, read page 1 of the student information/health forms (General Information). Anyone unable to meet all requirements listed on the General Information page, SHOULD NOT REGISTER FOR THE CLASS.Mandatory Steps for Enrolling in This Program:
- Meet all requirements listed on the General Information page of the student information/health forms
- Register online and pay in full (see below). *FULL payment is required at the time of registration*
- Download, complete and submit all student information/health forms no later than TWO WEEKS before the first day of class (can take several weeks to complete!).
- If registering within two weeks of the start of class, contact Heather Roberts, RN MSN.
- Download, complete, and submit a criminal background check form and payment IMMEDIATELY after registering for class. After submission of form and payment, students will receive an email from Background Investigation Bureau (BIB) requesting personal information. Reports must be received, reviewed, AND approved before class begins and this process can take several weeks. Students cannot attend any class without an approved background report, and refunds will not be issued.
- Order textbook online (see below).
- Students are required to have access to a computer, printer, Internet and active e-mail account. ALL communication with students is done through e-mail.
- Check e-mail regularly for important course and background check information (always check spam/junk mail folders).
- Plan your schedule accordingly, as both testing and clinical are required components for course completion and are not negotiable.
- Students are required to have a valid government-issued photo ID and signed Social Security card to enroll in this program. Copies of both will be required for each student file.
Payment is due in full at the time of registration. Any registration not paid in full will be automatically cancelled within 48 hours.
Location: All classes are held at the 5th Street Campus of Queens University of Charlotte in the Presbyterian School of Nursing building (1901 E. 5th Street, Charlotte, NC 28204). Download a campus map with parking information.
Full payment is required when you register. Once you have paid and registered, please print and complete the required student information/health forms. Currently enrolled Queens pre-nursing students are eligible for a 10% discount. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Textbook: Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants, 4th Edition (2010) by Sorrentino, Remmert, and Gorek (ISBN: 978-0-323-06621-1). Students should purchase prior to class online at www.elsevierhealth.com, www.amazon.com, or www.barnesandnoble.com. Students are only required to purchase the textbook. The workbook is not required.
Certified Nurse Aide I Training Schedules:Evening Session (one summer session only; payment due in FULL at time of registration; enrollment limited to 10 students)
Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Clinical will be held the last five evenings of class from 4:00 p.m. - 10:15 p.m.
- Register for Evening Session - May 6-August 7, 2013 (Registration Ends April 19)
Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Clinical is held the final week of class (four days) from 7:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Register for Day Session -
Session 1: May 9-June 20, 2013 (Registration ends April 22)
Session 2: June 27-August 8, 2013 (Registration ends June 10)
Cancellation Policy: There is a $50 cancellation fee for all Nursing and NAI Refresher programs, and a $100 cancellation fee for NAI Training programs. Cancellations that are received at least 10 business days prior to the first day of class will receive a refund, minus the $50 or $100 cancellation fee. Cancellations after that time will receive no refund.
The Center for Lifelong Learning at Queens University of Charlotte is an approved provider of nursing continuing education by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.