- Jernigan 200
Amy Thornburg , Ph.D.
- Associate Professor
- Associate Dean, Coordinator of Elementary Education Program
- Cato School of Education
Dr. Amy Wooten Thornburg is the Associate Dean and an Associate Professor in the Cato School of Education at Queens University of Charlotte. She is also the Coordinator of the Elementary Education Program and Oversees Accreditation. Dr. Thornburg is beginning her eleventh year at Queens. Prior to Queens she worked as a teacher in the Charlotte Mecklenburg school district before earning her Ph.D. degree in Philosophy of Education with focus on Curriculum and Instruction and Literacy. Dr. Thornburg teaches literacy and social studies courses in the undergraduate and graduate programs and supervises student teachers. Dr. Thornburg�s areas of expertise include student motivation, working with at-risk students, professional development, balanced literacy instruction and teacher retention. She has been a presenter at many national and international conferences during her time at Queens. She is also a consultant for the Charlotte Mecklenburg school district. Dr. Thornburg received the Cato Leadership in Education Award in 2015. This award is granted to faculty members who embody a contagious love of learning and a passion to help students grow and succeed. Other awards Dr. Thornburg has received include the Most Influential Woman on Campus and the National Association of Professional Development Schools� Award for Exemplary Professional Development School Achievement.
- Ph.D. Philosophy of Education - Curriculum and Instruction and Literacy; University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education - Literacy; University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- B.A. in Elementary Education; University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- NAPDS Award for Exemplary Professional Development School Achievement 2010 National Professional Development School Conference
- Cato Leadership in Education Award 2015 Queens University of Charlotte