Admission, Tuition and Costs
2014-2015 Academic Year
Application Fee: $50
Residency Fee: $750/semester
Covers all field trips pertaining to each residency, and access to classroom facilities and other essential services; charged with the Summer/Fall tuition. Does not include housing or travel to and from the residency city. The cost of the residency fees for the three required residencies has been consolidated and divided among each semester's tuition.
Travel and Lodging Costs
Travel and lodging expenses are not included. However, we will arrange a block of rooms with a convenient hotel.
2014 Hotel Expenses
Design CE: Hotel de Diseno
$107/night, tax included
$1,984 for 14-night stay
Admission to the Program
The application reading period for 2015 is September 1, 2014 - March April 1, 2015.
Participants may enter the Spring 2015 semester with distance learning, or the Summer/Fall term with the residency in Rio, July 18 - August 1, 2015.
Accepting applications for Summer 2015 through March April 1.
In order to be considered for admission to the MFA program in creative writing, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university or have equivalent experience practicing creative writing as that experience is reflected in the quality of the prospective student's application portfolio.
- Submit a completed graduate application
- Submit official transcripts from the college or university from which their highest degree was awarded. If the candidate does not hold a bachelor's degree, a high school transcript must be submitted. Transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope. They may be sent separately, or along with the other application materials.
- Submit one copy of a portfolio of creative writing in each genre for which you are applying, consisting of approximately 25 pages of fiction, creative nonfiction, or writing for stage and screen, or 10 pages of poetry.
- Submit one copy of a one-page, typed, single-spaced essay on the prospective student's reasons for applying to the MFA program and expectations for the program.
- Provide one letter of academic or professional reference that speaks to the applicant's ability as a writer or potential as student. Letters of recommendation may either be sent separately or along with the other application materials.
- Submit a $50 application fee for each genre in which you are applying.