Mark Kelso , PhD
- Professor , Political Science and Sociology Department
- College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Mark Kelso is currently Professor of Political Science at Queens University of Charlotte, and chairman of the Department of Political Science and International Studies. He received his bachelor of arts degree in Political Science from Murray State University and his doctorate degree in political science from Vanderbilt University. He teaches a variety of courses at Queens, including European Politics, Campaigns and Elections, Environmental Politics and Constitutional Law. His research interests include environmental policy, electoral behavior and political leadership. His publications include: "Environmental Justice and Equity" in Soden and Steel eds., "Global Environmental Policy and Administration" (Marcel Dekker, 1999); "Environmental Priorities and the President as Legislative Leader," co-authored with Glen Sussman, in Dennis Soden ed., and "The Environmental Presidency" (SUNY Press, 1999). He has also written book reviews for publications such as "Presidential Studies Quarterly."
Dr. Kelso has presented at numerous professional conferences, including the Western Political Science Association, the Southern Political Science Association and the American Political Science Association. He also has done local presentations to a wide variety of groups, ranging from Senior Scholars to Rotary clubs to the Global Speakers series at Providence Day School.
Dr. Kelso is the 2003 winner of the Joseph W. Grier Distinguished Professor Award, and has been named to Who’s Who among American Teachers four times.
Dr. Kelso has traveled extensively while at Queens, leading student trips to such places as Ireland, Central Europe and Italy. He was also part of a faculty delegation to China in 1999 and has led two spring-break mission trips to Guatemala. In May 2010, he led a student trip to South Africa.
- PhD - Political Science; Vanderbilt University
- BA - Political Science; Murray State University
- Faculty/Staff Enthusiast of the Year 2006 Student Organization Honors
- Who's Who Amoing America's Teachers 2004
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers 2002
- Faculty Advisor of the Year 1999 Student Organization Honors
- Faculty/Staff Enthusiast of the Year 2000 Student Organization Honors
- Joseph W. Grier Distinguished Professor Award 2003 Queens University of Charlotte
- Faculty/Staff Enthusiast of the Year 2007 Student Organization Honors
- Faculty/Staff Enthusiast of the Year 2003 Student Organization Honors
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers 2005