Queens University of Charlotte's Summer Institute in Chinese (STARTALK) is a free summer immersion program made possible by a federal government grant that offers high school students -- including rising freshmen and recently graduated seniors -- the opportunity to gain proficiency in real-world Mandarin Chinese at the beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels within the context of our updated theme, "Relationships in China." Prior experience is not required but demonstrated interest in language-learning and a proven ability to succeed are necessary. The program caters to both heritage and non-heritage Chinese learners.
Sign up for our 2013 mailing list to ensure you receive all STARTALK communications.
Note: the mailing list is updated yearly and subscription from one year to another is not automatic.
2013 Program Details
- July 8th - 26th, 2013
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday (early drop-off and late pick-up are available)
- Lunch and snack provided daily
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis until all spaces are filled.
- Students will receive 3 hours of college credit from Queens University at the 101 or 102 level upon successful completion of the program
- No high school credit will be granted
Application Timeline Update
We are still accepting applications! We will notify selected applicants on a rolling basis until all spaces are filled.
Once accepted into STARTALK, you will be asked to officially register for the program and pay a $50 registration fee. There is no other cost for the program. Economic hardship waivers may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
We suggest completing the short answer questions in Microsoft Word, since the application cannot be saved and continued later. Please note that honest and thoughtful student responses to essay questions are one of the most important components in our evaluation of potential participants. A teacher reference is also required and we suggest notifying the teacher prior to providing his/her contact information. Alternative references are acceptable for home-schooled students.
This is the fifth consecutive year that Queens has been selected to offer a Summer Institute in Chinese through the STARTALK program. In partnership with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, the program seeks to compliment and support existing language programs for high school students.
Learn more about the national STARTALK program.
STARTALK best practices guide curriculum development and classroom instruction, resulting in a progressive, student-centered approach that is centered around the the Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century. Classroom iPad sets will be available in 2013, allowing students to utilize the latest technology to accelerate learning. A private social networking community on Ning.com will provide additional opportunities for learning and interaction prior to, during, and after the program.
Learn more about the program's curriculum.
In an average day, students will engage in language practice focused around specific cultural themes as they interact with instructors, language facilitators and each other. Daily hands-on cultural activities keep students engaged and linguistic proficiency occurs naturally as students become equipped to navigate realistic situations that they are likely to encounter in the target language.
Read more about the Queens Summer Institute in Chinese.
Why Study Chinese?
- Mandarin Chinese is the most widely-spoken language in the world with over a billion people.
- The economic futures of the United States and China are intricately intertwined, and some predict that China will soon surpass the U.S. as an economic super power. Those who speak Chinese are major assets to employers that work with the Chinese market.
- Learning Chinese opens doors to a fascinating culture with over 4,000 years of history.
- Understanding the Chinese culture and language is useful for those interested in traveling to or working in China and Taiwan.
Learn more about the Department of Foreign Languages at Queens, and follow us on Facebook for the latest STARTALK updates! We are listed with CharlotteSummerCamps.org.