Charles Israel, Jr.
- Instructor , English Department
- College of Arts and Sciences
I'm a writer who teaches.
My poetry chapbook, Stacking Weather, won the Flip Kelly Award from Amsterdam Press and was published in late 2010. My short stories and poems have appeared in national magazines such as Crazyhorse, Southern Poetry Review, Zone 3, North Carolina Literary Review, Slipstream, Nimrod International Journal, and Field. I've written everything from press releases to white papers to indexes for National Geographic Magazine.
When I'm not writing and reading, I enjoy playing tennis, working out, and riding my bicycle. I like going out of the country and have been a leader on several John Belk International Program trips.
I live in Charlotte with my wife Leslie, daughter Elizabeth, and dog Maggie.
- B.A. - English with concentration in American Studies; University of Virginia
- M.A. - English; University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- M.F.A. - Creative Writing-Fiction; Western Michigan University