Mohammed el-Nawawy , Ph.D.
- Associate Professor , Graduate Faculty
- Knight-Crane Endowed Chair
- Knight School of Communication
Dr. Mohammed el-Nawawy is a Knight-Crane endowed chair and Associate Professor in the Knight School of Communication at Queens University of Charlotte. He teaches international communication, mass communication, media globalization, and Middle East media courses.
His areas of expertise and research interests are focused on the new media in the Middle East, particularly satellite channels and the Internet, and their impact on the Arab public sphere. He is also interested in issues of public diplomacy and ways of initiating effective dialogue between the Middle East and the West.
He is the author and co-author of several books, including "Egyptian Revolution 2.0: Political Blogging, Civic Engagement, and Citizen Journalism" by Palgrave Macmillian (2013); "Islam dot Com: Contemporary Islamic Discourses in Cyberspace" by Palgrave Macmillan (2009); "Al-Jazeera: The Story of the Network that is Rattling Governments and Redefining Modern Journalism" by Westview Press (2003); "Al-Jazeera: How the Free Arab News Network Scooped the World and Changed the Middle East" by Westview Press (2002); and the "Israeli-Egyptian Peace Process in the Reporting of Western Journalists" by Greenwood Publishers (2002).
He has also published in several national and foreign journals in the international communication field. His work on Arab media in general, and Al-Jazeera in particular, has attracted the attention of the popular press inside and outside the United States.
He is the founding and senior editor of the Journal of Middle East Media and serves on the editorial boards of Media, War and Conflict journal and Global Media journal. He also serves as the Vice President of the Arab-U.S. Association for Communication Educators.
Dr. el-Nawawy also has professional journalistic experience in the United States and the Middle East.
- Ph.D. - Journalism; Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- M.A. - Mass Communication; The American University in Cairo
- B.A. - Mass Communication; The American university in Cairo
- First place paper award 2009 Arab-U.S. Association for Communication Educators
- A $60,000 grant to study Al-Jazeera English viewership in six countries 2008 Knight Foundation
- First place award 2012 English paper competition of the Arab-U.S. Association for Communication Educators