- Sykes 121
- MSC 1437
Mary St. Claire Howerton , Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- McColl School of Business
Dr. Mary Howerton is a management consultant who is principal of her firm by the same name, Mary Howerton Consulting, Inc. She works with organizations, their management and leaders to coach them in professional development and career concerns. After serving as chief executive for 3 organizations in Charlotte, she earned her Ph. D. in multicultural counseling at UNC-Charlotte in 2004 and opened her consulting firm in the same year. She is an adjunct professor in the McColl School of Business, Masters in Organizational Development Program where she teaches graduate students coaching classes. Formerly she taught graduate courses at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Pfeiffer University as an adjunct professor.
Her research interests include contemporary issues in the field of coaching and organizational development. Specifically, she has a keen interest in Positive Psychology, having focused her doctoral work on the study of optimism and how that quality affects individuals in their professional outcomes. She is a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
She also has contributed a book chapter on the Loss of a Child (Sanders, C., 1989), various professional journals, and articles to the Charlotte Business Journal.
She has held leadership positions in multiple national, state and local organizations. Finally, she enjoys reading (she belongs to a great book club), yoga and gardening.
- M.A., 1996 - Counseling; UNC-Charlotte
- Ph.D. - Multi Cultural Counseling; University of N. C. - Charlotte, 2004
- Meritorious Service Award 2000 Chi Sigma Iota, UNC-Charlotte
- Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters 2001 Queens University
- Outstanding Volunteer Service 1996 State of NC-Governor's Award
- Mind, Body & Spirit Award 1999 Simmons YMCA
- Martha Bedell Alexander Award 2010 Anivia