Some students want to strengthen their language skills by immersiing themselves in a country's culture and fabric.
Intensive, four-week language and cultural immersion programs offer that extra depth by positioning students in communities where they can put their language skills into practice. Students widen their knowledge through language classes, cultural activities and living with local families where only the native language is spoken.
"Living in another country, you learn to deal with a variety of people. You learn to listen, be proactive, be patient, assertive. All those are translatable skills."
- Howard Wallack, VP of Global Business Development at the Society for Human Resource Management
A four-week immersion program for those who seek intensive work in the language of Spain, as well as the chance to experience the culture of Andalusia. Classes are taught at the Escuela de Idiomas in the seaside village of Nerja on Spain's Costa del Sol.
Perfect for those who want intensive study of Spanish combined with the chance to explore the culture and beauty of Costa Rica. Classes are taught at the Costa Rica Spanish Institute in Manuel Antonio, located along the sandy beaches of the Pacific.
Perfect your French and experience the culture of Provence through our four-week immersion program in the beautiful city of Nice on the famed French Riviera.
- All language immersion programs are open to students with various levels of fluency. However, students with fluency below the intermediate level must have the Foreign Languages Department's approval to participate.
- Students may elect to add additional weeks of language study.
- There are supplemental fees for each program; contact the John Belk International Program office for details.
- Additional immersion programs for languages other than French and Spanish may be developed in conjunction with the Foreign Languages Department and the John Belk International Program.