Language Immersion programs are available to students who would like to increase their language proficiency skills by having an in-depth cultural immersion experience of living in a country and speaking the native language.
Intensive, four-week language and cultural immersion programs provide students the opportunity to put their language skills into practice. Students broaden their knowledge through language classes, cultural activities and living in homestays with local families where only the native language is spoken.
"Living in another country, you learn to deal with a variety of people. You learn to listen, be proactive, be patient, assertive. All those are translatable skills."
- Howard Wallack, VP of Global Business Development at the Society for Human Resource Management
Listed below are the countries available for Spanish and French language immersion programs:
Spanish - Spain, Argentina, Costa Rica, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay
French - France and Canada
Additional immersion programs for languages other than French and Spanish are available with pre-approval from the World Languages Department and the Center for International Education.
- Language Immersion programs are open to students who have completed a minimum of one Intermediate Level language course or the equivalent of three university level courses. Students may take placement tests to place out of beginning level courses but must take at least one Intermediate level course at Queens to participate.
- Students may elect to add additional weeks of language study.
- There are supplemental fees for each program; contact the Center for International Education for details.
- Additional immersion programs for languages other than French and Spanish are available with pre-approval from the World Languages Department and the Center for International Education.
- Some International Internship programs offer language immersion options along side the internship experience.
- For more details about our language immersion programs, visit http://www.queens.abroadoffice.net/.