Accelerated BSN Admissions
Accelerated Pre-Licensure Track
The Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) track offers adult students who already hold a bachelor's degree the opportunity to complete the BSN curriculum in 3 consecutive semesters, beginning in May each year. Students in the ABSN track are admitted to Queens through Hayworth School of Graduate and Continuing Studies.
Applications are accepted for full time enrollment and with a summer admission only. The track is completed in three consecutive semesters.
Application deadline: February 1
Emphasis in the admissions decision is placed on the academic history of the applicant. The intent is to offer admission to those whose academic history indicates a strong likelihood for success in the bachelor degree curriculum. Queens selects the best qualified candidates from those completing the application process and meeting the minimum admission requirements. Applicants are encouraged to complete the application process well in advance of the respective deadline.
Students with incomplete applications and those who do not meet all of the minimal requirements will not be considered for admission. Generally, applications that are incomplete by the published deadline are not reviewed.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A complete application to the nursing major
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on all previous course work and in prerequisites. QEN 101 and QEN 102 are not factored in pre-requisite GPA calculation.
- Completion of all prerequisites with a grade of C- or higher (prior to enrollment).
- No more than two prerequisite courses may be in progress at the time of application submission. Proof of enrollment in outstanding prerequisite courses must be submitted with the application.
- Only one of the two courses in progress may be a science course.
- All prerequisites must be completed and the university must have received transcripts for these courses prior to the first day of nursing classes.
The Pre-requisite Courses Are:
- QEN 101: Rhetoric and Composition (4)
- QEN 102: Rhetoric & Argument (4) (This course requirement is waived for students with a previous degree from an accredited institution).
- NUR 205: Nutrition (3)
- PSY 101: General Psychology (4)
- PSYC 210: Developmental Psychology (4)
- BIO 120: Microbiology for Health Professions (with lab) (4)
- BIO 213: Anatomy and Physiology I (with lab) (4)
- BIO 214: Anatomy and Physiology II (with lab) (4)
- MAT 106: Introductory Statistics (4)
- QLC 120-160: Institutions & Society (4)
Students holding a prior baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution are only required to complete the nursing pre-requisite courses. University general education requirements are waived. Students who plan to use credit received by examination (AP, CLEP, etc) must submit official scores from the testing agency. Policies for credit by examination may be found here.
Previously Enrolled in a Nursing Program?
Students who were previously enrolled in any registered nursing program must submit the following for individual consideration during the admission review process:
- Official and updated transcripts from all previous programs
- Documentation including the dates of enrollment, name and location of the program, and academic standing at the time enrollment ended in that program
- An official written explanation (on letterhead) from all previous programs dean or director detailing why the student did not complete the program.
- Failure to disclose enrollment in a prior nursing program will disqualify the student's application and/or result in dismissal from the program.
For admissions and program-related questions, please send an email to PSONAdmissions@queens.edu or call 704-337-2314.