Increasing scholarship resources so that Queens can continue to attract and support bright, talented students is key to the university's strategic plan. In 2011, Porter B. Byrum gave $20.9 million - the largest single gift in Queens' history - to support endowed scholarships.
To further magnify the impact of Mr. Byrum's gift, Queens University of Charlotte issued the Byrum Endowed Scholarship Challenge. Through this challenge, $5 million was offered as a 1:1 match to donors who made new commitments of $50,000 or more to a new or existing endowed scholarship fund.
Dr. Pamela Davies is delighted to announce that as of April 2014, the Byrum Challenge is complete. Forty three generous individuals and organizations took advantage of this matching challenge, contributing $5 million dollars in new scholarship funds.
Byrum's parents' ambition was that each of their sons would earn a college degree. The son of a Baptist preacher, Byrum and three of his four brothers followed their father to Wake Forest, all attending tuition-free.
"Education is a big thing in my world. My daddy never would have been able to put four boys through college, so somebody ought to pay back that debt"
- Porter B. Byrum
"It makes me feel good to do that. If somebody else hadn't given a lot to colleges and universities, the schools and students wouldn't be there," Byrum continues.
In 2012-2013, 810 Queens students benefited from over $3.6 million in financial aid generated from private gifts. We are deeply appreciative that Porter Byrum and the following generous challenge donors have enabled Queens to provide scholarship assistance to additional well-deserving students for generations to come.
Byrum Challenge Donors:
- Jim and Judy Napier Allison '70
- Bill and Harriet Bangle Barnhardt '50
- Jean Trueworthy Batten '57
- A. Richard and Delores Blair
- Jean Taylor Blaylock '60
- Ed and Jan Hall Brown '73 MBA '84
- Broyhill Family Foundation
- Deborah Butler Bryan '68
- Walt and Sharon Carter
- Cato Corporation & John P.D. Cato
- Richard J. Ernst
- Cally and Joy Godfrey Gault '49
- Bill and Kathie Taylor Grigg '87
- Blaine and Robin Scroggs Hawkins '67
- Graeme and Rebecca Henderson
- William R. Holland
- Van and Jean King
- Knight Foundation & Alpo and Margie Knight Crane '90
- Martin J. Kreshon
- Paul and Judy Moore Leonard '67
- Fred and Sallie Moore Lowrance '70
- John A. McGee, Jr.
- Donald D. and Ann McNeill
- Michael W. Murphy '95
- Nalle Clinic Foundation
- Ken Osleger
- Jay and Dorothy Folger Pence '52
- Tom and Pat Reddin
- Roy and Virginia Richards
- Chan and Lucy Roberts
- Sue Fields Ross '61
- Jim and Anne Schout
- Harriet A. Seabrook
- Ronald and Barbara Shiffler
- Bill and Mary Staton EMBA '98
- Trexler Foundation
- Philip L. Van Every Foundation
- Marion H. Ward
- Dorothea F. West
- Gail Brinn Wilkins and Howard Freese
- B.G. Woodham, Jr. and Dettie Piper
- Robert and Joan H. Zimmerman