Each visit to the Student Health and Wellness Center is confidential. Before any portion of a student's medical record can be transferred or discussed, written permission must be obtained. Queens University of Charlotte requires students to make an appointment with the nurse to review the information that is to be shared before any transfer of records can occur.
In order to request information from outside providers, or to release information to outside providers, an Authorization for Release of Information form must be submitted.
Release of Information
Identifying personal health information will not be given to parents, friends, outside medical doctors, partners, roommates, university faculty or staff and employers unless:
- Written permission and/or a release to disclose health information has been signed by you.
- When there is serious and foreseeable harm to you or others.
- You indicate that there is reasonable cause to believe that a child or a dependent adult has been abused
- A court orders HWC staff to disclose confidential information about you. If this happens, HWC staff will first ask that the court to drop their order. If they refuse to drop their order, HWC staff will disclose only the minimum amount of information we deem necessary to satisfy the court's order.
- You waive the privilege by bringing charges against HWC staff.
As Required by Law. We will disclose health information about you when required to do so by federal, state, or local law.
Lastly, there is an expectation that any private information learned through the course of coming to the Health & Wellness Center be kept confidential and never shared. An example would be seeing another student in the HWC. HWC expects that all will respect and protect the privacy of others to the same extent that your own privacy is protected.