Housing Contract Cancellation
Cancellation of Contract
Per the Housing Contract, the contract cancellation policy is outlined below.
- Before May 1: Students may cancel their Housing Contract, without penalty, by submitting a written request to the Office of Residence Life.
- Between May 2 and June 30: Students may cancel their Housing Contract by submitting a written request. Students are not financially obligated to the Housing Contract; however, a contract breakage fee of $350 will be assessed.
- Between July 1 and July 31: Students may cancel their Housing Contract by submitting a written request. Students are not financially obligated to the Housing Contract; however, a contract breakage fee of $500 will be assessed.
- After July 31: Residents may request to be released from their Housing Contract. To request a release, students must complete a Contract Cancellation Request Form and turn it into the Office of Residence Life. The completed form will be forwarded to the Housing Contract Appeals Committee. The Committee will review the student's request and determine whether he/she may be released from the contract. Requests to be released from Housing Contracts will be granted only when there is a verifiable change in financial or medical conditions. Documentation of changes to financial or medical conditions must be submitted with the Contract Cancellation Request Form.
- It is rare that students will be released from their Housing Contract after July 31st.
If the request is approved, the student will be responsible for paying the $500 contract breakage fee, as well as any charges for dates of occupancy. A student who is approved to be released from their Housing Contract is eligible for a prorated refund of room and board charges. The effective refund date will be determined based on the date the student officially checks out of the residence hall.
If the request is denied, the student will be expected to fulfill their financial commitment to the Housing Contract. If a resident is not satisfied with the Committee's decision, he or she may appeal the decision to the Dean of Student Life. The Dean of Student Life's decision is final.
Housing Cancellation Form