Student Support Team
The student support team is composed of a small group of faculty and staff committed to working together in a confidential manner to assist students through challenging times. The team meets twice a month, staffs student concerns, and develops a plan of action. The team implements a plan and continues to follow up with the student in the hopes of fostering success at Queens.
Student Support Team members:
- Elizabeth Davant, Associate Director of Student Health and Wellness Services--coordinates and facilitates the team.
- John Downey, Dean of Students
- Sally Hyatt, Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Diane Mowrey, Chaplain/Professor of Religion
- Tim Burke, Assistant Athletics Director
- Edward J. Young, M.Ed., Director of Residence Life
- Melinda Harper, Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Jill Perry, Director of Student Health and Wellness Services
- Michele Kelly, Director of Academic Advising
- Ulrike Miles, Director of Center for Academic Success
- Clarence Birkhead, Associate VP, Safety & Security
The Queens University of Charlotte Support Team provides a resource to the university community where faculty, staff, students and parents can direct concerns they may have about a student. These concerns consist but are not limited to the following:
- Attendance concerns
- Academic decline
- Emotional issues
- Behavioral problems
The team does not focus on disciplinary action, but instead advocates for students. The team approaches each student respectfully and confidentially. The team is dedicated to making sure that students do not fall through the cracks and that everything possible has been done to assist the student in succeeding at Queens.
How to make a referral
The university community is encouraged to inform any member of the team of a student that is in need of support. A referral can be made by completing the online form, contacting any member of the team, or by calling the counselor at the Health and Wellness Center 704-337-2556. The counselor will contact all referral sources as soon as possible to verify receipt of form during regular office hours.
Please keep in mind, that in order to respect the rights of the student the support team may be limited in how much information is shared with you regarding the outcome and follow-up. Please be reassured that the Team works very hard to address the needs of the student. The support team will always respect the privacy, the rights, and the wishes of the student.