2012-13 Learning Society Speakers
Noteworthy speakers heading to Queens
The Learning Society of Queens is thrilled to bring Carly Fiorina and Dr. Sanjay Gupta to Charlotte for the 25th anniversary season. The two speakers are the latest in a list of notable names that have been part of Queens' biannual lecture series including Cokie Roberts, Ben Stein, Robert Kennedy, Jr., Thomas Friedman, Fareed Zakaria, Dr. Craig Venter and former Secretary of State and National Security Advisor Dr. Condoleezza Rice. This year, Charlotte Magazine named The Learning Society of Queens the best lecture series in the region.
Carly Fiorina started her business career as a secretary and went on to become the first woman to lead a Fortune 20 company. She is one of the world's most distinguished business innovators as well as an influential thought-leader, cultural pioneer, best-selling author and top advisor to both the private and public sectors. Fiorina served as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hewlett-Packard Company (HP) from 1999 to 2005, steering the company through the dot-com bust and the worst technology recession in 25 years as well as helming the Compaq Computer merger, now acknowledged as the most successful in high-tech history. Fiorina's lecture will be on September 27, 2012 at 7 p.m. in Dana Auditorium on Queens' campus.
Dr. Sanjay Gupta is the chief medical correspondent for the health and medical unit at CNN. Gupta, a practicing neurosurgeon and an assistant professor of neurosurgery, plays an integral role in the network's medical coverage, which includes lead reporting on breaking medical news, regular health and medical updates for American Morning, anchoring the half-hour weekend medical affairs program House Call with Dr. Sanjay Gupta and reporting for CNN documentaries. Dr. Gupta's lecture will be on February 20, 2013 at 7 p.m. in the Blumenthal Performing Art Center's Knight Theater in Uptown Charlotte.
The Learning Society of Queens is a membership group founded in 1988 and born out of the university's commitment to being an educational resource for its students and the surrounding Charlotte community. Membership dues along with sponsorships help Queens bring notable speakers and thought leaders to Charlotte for the education of Queens students and the greater Charlotte community. Read more information on Learning Society membership.
- Queens to Dedicate Porter B. Byrum Hall in Honor of Largest Gift in the University’s History
- Author Michael Lewis Shares His Thoughts on Wall Street
- Jeff Brown Named Ally CEO
- Jane McIntyre Named Charlotte's 2014 Woman of the Year
- Local Author Helen Weaver Speaks at Queens to Encourage Students' Fundraising Campaign for St. Jude
- The Dean's Digest - February 2015
- Queens to Expand and Enhance Knight School of Communication with $3 Million Gift
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Captivates Audience at Spring Convocation
- Professor Tosha Arriola Served as Event Chair for Mayor's Mentoring Alliance Ceremony
- MFA Events, Undergraduate Workshop Engage Community of Writers