Queens Receives ArtSí’s Community Partner Award
ArtSí, Charlotte's premier Latino arts community initiative that supports and connects Latino/a artists in Mecklenburg County, has selected Queens University of Charlotte as the recipient of their annual Community Partner Award. This award recognizes one organization in the Charlotte community that has helped Latino/a artists flourish. Through Queens' unyielding support and commitment to Latinos in the arts, Charlotte is a better place to live, work and play.
Queens will be recognized at the 10-year anniversary of the "Con A de Arte" (A is for art) event on Thursday, June 20 from 6-9 p.m.at the Mint Museum. During the course of the evening, Queens will be recognized along with three other award recipients:
- Sara Wolf Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Edwin Gil
- Leading Latino/a Artist Award presented to Rosie Molinary
- Individual Community Supporter Award presented to Lucilla Ruvalcaba
The event will also showcase Hispanic arts and culture through live performances, entertainment and presentations. Featured artists will include:
- Visual Artists: Ivan Peña, Claudia Pureco, Oscar Ortiz, Angela Lubinecky and Nico Amortegui
- Latino Themed by Non-Latino Artists:Bill Temples - Fine Arts, Kevin Shank - Photographer and Jan Notzon - Writer
- Sculpture:Victor Gómez and Adrián Barrionuevo
- Dance:Daniel Arredondo, El Alma de la Luna and Movimentos de Samba Brazilian Dance Co.
- Music Singers:Aris Quiroga and Jessica Alberto de Gutierrez
- Theatre:Mónica Román - Actress
- Performing Multidiscipline:Genesis Soto - Poet, Actress
- Food/Art:Clara Delgado Tapiero - Gelatin Artist
- Photography:Armando Bellmas and Jonathan Reynas
- Fashion Design:Jennifer Cardenas
ArtSí is a community initiative that connects Latino/a artists to available resources, creates opportunities and bridges the cultural, communication and financial barriers that Latinos/as in the arts may face. Further, it aims to connect the community as a whole with an amazing pool of talented and diverse artists in the Latino culture. Strategic direction, administrative support and programming are provided by the following organizations: Latin American Women Association, Levine Museum of the New South, McColl Center for Visual Art, Mint Museum and Queens University of Charlotte. For more information about ArtSí visit ArtSiCharlotte.org.
- Charlotte magazine features Queens' stylish president, Dr. Pamela Davies
- Dr. Alexa Royden appointed interim Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Cato School of Education
- Queens received #7 ranking in a list of the "45 Top Colleges to Study Abroad"
- Dr. Lynn Morton announced as Queens’ new provost
- Seven Board of Trustees members recognized for their service to Queens
- Queens holds the Inaugural Visionary Women Luncheon
- The Writing Life: How a Queens professor fell in love with words
- Jay Bilas skills camp held at Queens
- Queens concludes football feasibility study
- Professor Bennett Speaks at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark