The Knight School takes another step toward making Charlotte a model city for digital literacy
The Knight School of Communication launched a digital literacy initiative at Ashley Park Elementary School, a school within the Project L.I.F.T. corridor on the official Second Annual Digital Media Literacy Day. Project L.I.F.T. is a non-profit organization that transforms the way students who traditionally perform poorly in school are educated, focusing on nine schools within Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools (CMS).
The Knight School partnered with CMS, One Laptop per Child, Mobile Beacon and EveryoneOn to clear away digital literacy obstacles for Ashley Park Elementary families and assist parents who cannot keep pace with the technological literacy required of their children. The Knight School assessed families' technology needs; Mobile Beacon donated 100 modems and provided free in-home Internet access for the duration of the school year to participating families; and One Laptop per Child had already provided students with computers.
The initiative aligns with the Knight School's overarching mission-to raise the digital media literacy rate of the city to improve the lives of Charlotteans-and the launch day was celebrated by a Mayoral Proclamation.
The focus on Ashley Park Elementary follows the Knight School's Digital Media Literacy (DML) Index, the first tool of its kind to produce a comprehensive view of DML competency across a municipality-in this case, the city of Charlotte. The community surrounding Ashley Park scored the lowest on the Knight School's Charlotte area index; a deeper look at the data revealed the neighborhood has the lowest Internet use, contains the highest percentage of adults without a high school degree and has the highest percentage of households with an annual income less than $40,000.
- Queens Celebrates Leaders at Student Life Awards
- Queens Raises Awareness on Voting, Topics for 2016 Presidential Election
- Alumni Reunion 2016 Welcomes Over 200 Alumni
- Biology Senior Discovers Bacteriophage During Honors Thesis Research
- Queens Announces 2016 Commencement Speakers
- Brand Awakening
- Students 'Rock the Mock' and Gain Invaluable Interview Experience
- Scholars Luncheon Celebrates Donors and the Queens Experience
- Students Raise Over $45,000 for St. Jude Up 'til Dawn
- Affirming Queens' Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion