Belk gives work by famous sculptor to commemorate new swimming programs
Irwin Belk gives Jon Hair sculpture to Queens University of Charlotte
Bronze sculpture of a woman diving celebrates new swimming programs
Queens benefactor Irwin "Ike" Belk recently donated a sculpture to Queens University of Charlotte to commemorate the addition of swimming programs.
The sculpture is by artist Jon Hair who also created "Rex," the largest standing lion sculpture in the world which stands at the Queens Sports Complex on Tyvola Road.
"As a former athlete I'm so pleased to see Queens add swimming to its athletics programs and look forward to watching those teams develop," said Belk, who is a former member of the
U.S. Olympic Committee.
The sculpture is now showcased in the office of Queens President Pamela L. Davies who said she's inspired by the graceful form of the female swimmer bending into a back dive.
The gift enhanced the campus-wide celebration about the new programs, said David Marsh, Queens' executive in residence for athletics and high performance.
Sculptor Hair lives at Lake Norman and has earned worldwide acclaim for his massive bronze sculptures at Queens and several other universities, at the U.S. Air Force Academy, Olympic Training Center, in front of Merrill Lynch in Manhattan, and other notable locations.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-ed, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university with a commitment to both liberal arts and professional studies. Located in the heart of historic Charlotte, Queens serves approximately 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students through its College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the Wayland H. Cato, Jr. School of Education, the School of Communication, Hayworth College for Adult Studies and the Andrew Blair College of Health which features the Presbyterian School of Nursing.
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Office of Marketing & Community Relations
Queens University of Charlotte
1900 Selwyn Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28274
|Royals Athletics Contact:
- Queens Announces University Snapchat Account
- Women's Basketball Team Partners with Samaritan's Feet to Provide Kids With Shoes
- Queens Receives $2 Million Gift to Establish Preyer Honors and Fellows Programs
- Queens Alumni Assist 'The Lunch Project' Feed Children, Better Their Education
- Freshmen Connect Through Interfaith Urban Immersion Experience
- Queens Participates in Heart Walk, Supports American Heart Association
- Famed Horowitz Piano Comes to Queens
- Cato Call for Third-Party Comments
- Online MSN Program Alumna First to Earn CNL Certification
- Forty Organizations Attend Non-Profit Volunteer and Internship Fair