Dr. Patrick Connor, Panthers head team physician, gives a behind-the-scenes look at sports medicine
Many gathered for A Tour through the NFL: The Team Physician's Perspective event featuring Dr. Patrick Connor who discussed the bumps, bruises and care required to keep the Carolina Panthers players on the field.
The evening began with a welcome by Kevin Burke, dean and professor, Blair College of Health and introduction of Dr. Robert Lyons, associate professor of kinesiology who then introduced Dr. Patrick Connor, the featured speaker of the evening. The audience was a good mix of students, faculty, staff, neighbors and friends of Queens -- all who were excited about getting a behind-the-scenes look at sports medicine.
Connor discussed the full spectrum of his work with the NFL, from scouting to season wrap-up. Throughout the evening Connor shared personal stories, the true definition of sports medicine and the politics that surround the NFL. He closed his talk with a thought-provoking question: "Is the NFL just a game?" He quickly answered, "No, it's a business...not just a game on Sunday afternoon." The evening was then opened up to a Q&A moderated by Dr. Robert Lyons and included questions ranging from the impact of concussions and mental health to balancing a players well-being with their desire to be on the field no matter what.
Dr. Patrick Connor currently serves as the head team physician for the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Knights, Joe Gibbs Racing and Providence Day School. He's served as the team physician for the NFL's Pro Bowl on two occasions, in 2006 and 2014. He serves on the editorial board for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and the American Journal of Sports Medicine. He has been named a Top Doctor by Charlotte Magazine for the past nine years and served on the board of directors for the OrthoCarolina Research Institute since 2002. He has published or contributed to several hundred orthopedic and sports medicine articles and presentations.
A Tour through the NFL: The Team Physician's Perspective event was a partnership between Blair College of Health, Queens Learning Institute and OrthoCarolina. The talk gave the community an opportunity to see the NFL from a vantage point few ever experience, that of the team physician.
- Queens Alumni Assist 'The Lunch Project' Feed Children, Better Their Education
- Freshmen Connect Through Interfaith Urban Immersion Experience
- Queens Participates in Heart Walk, Supports American Heart Association
- Famed Horowitz Piano Comes to Queens
- Cato Call for Third-Party Comments
- Online MSN Program Alumna First to Earn CNL Certification
- Forty Organizations Attend Non-Profit Volunteer and Internship Fair
- MFA Alumna Amy Bagwell Inspires Others through "The Wall Poems of Charlotte"
- MSOD Community Leadership Project Seeks Donations
- McColl School of Business Welcomes New Dean Richard Mathieu