Carolina Panthers challenge Queens
The Carolina Panthers will soon challenge Queens University of Charlotte students, faculty and staff to perform 70,000 hours of community service during the 2011-12 academic year.
The challenge will be announced at a special kick-off celebration Tuesday, Sept. 20, at 11 a.m. in the residential quad along with the special reward it will offer.
Pat Taft, director of Queens' Center for Active Citizenship, says she's confident that we will exceed that ambitious goal, in part because of a new partnership that will draw support from the entire Queens community.
Queens' major service partner this year will be Sedgefield Elementary School, which serves 450 students from pre-kindergarten through 5th grade. Most of the students at the school are underprivileged and Queens has pledged to support critical needs that were identified by Sedgefield's teaching staff. Queens and Sedgefield are working together on a Strategic Staffing Initiative (SSI) for disadvantaged schools, as proposed by former CMS Superintendent Dr. Pete Gorman.
"With the Initiative and the Queens partnership student achievement at Sedgefield Elementary School is expected to rise tremendously," Taft said. "With everything that Queens has to offer, along with the resilience of the Sedgefield Elementary students, faculty and staff, this partnership will prove to be a success and we fully expect to meet - and exceed - the Panthers challenge."
All Queens students, faculty and staff are eligible to help with the Sedgefield Volunteer Project. "While strengthening the Queens community as well as the local community, we volunteer to realize the importance and value of education for our own and future generations," Taft said. Service hours also will count toward the Panthers Challenge which will carry "a major reward to be announced at the kick-off event."
- Davis and Gatterdam Awarded for Philanthropy
- General Hayden and Sir John Scarlett Discuss National Security at Learning Society Event
- Dr. Lyons Named 2016 North Carolina Sport Management Coalition Educator of the Year
- Queens Begins Construction on Region’s First World-Class Field Hockey Facility
- Queens Unveils Lounge for Veteran and Military Students
- Men's Basketball Defeats VCU in Exhibition Game
- Students, Faculty Meet with Journalists from Around the World to Discuss Election
- Alumna Participates in Queens-CMS Literacy Educator Partnership
- Queens Collegiate 100 Acknowledged As Best Chapter in U.S.
- Queens Celebrates Banned Book Week