Class of 2013 Inducted into the Carolinas Entrepreneur Hall of Fame
More than 100 guests gathered at Quail Hollow Club on Thursday, Oct. 24 for the Carolinas Entrepreneur Hall of Fame 4th Annual Induction Ceremony & Dinner. The event honored the work of talented entrepreneurs with its Class of 2013 induction of Joe L. Dudley, Sr. and Eunice M. Dudley of Dudley Products, Inc.; Francis M Hipp (1911-1995) of Liberty Corporation; and Charles M Shelton and R. Edwin Shelton of The Shelton Companies.
The event was attended by Former North Carolina Governor Jim Martin who delivered the opening remarks and Queens President Pamela Davies who had the honor of making the induction remarks.
The evening was filled with heartwarming moments including Hayne Hipp accepting the honor on behalf of his father Francis and telling attendees that Francis was a "we" man. You can't get places with only an "I." It has to be a team effort.
The Sheltons focused on thanking their families for all of their support, crediting them for their success. The Dudleys' story demonstrated you don't have to come from a privileged background to obtain success, noting they came from a modest background and lived in a house with 14 family members.
The Carolinas Entrepreneur Hall of Fame was founded on the efforts of the Entrepreneurial Leadership Circle (ELC) at the McColl School of Business. The ELC is a group of established entrepreneurs who have collectively provided just shy of half a million dollars in scholarships to students studying entrepreneurship at Queens. The Hall of Fame, which highlights the rich history of entrepreneurial efforts in Charlotte, resides in Sykes Hall and is open to the public.
Past inductees include:
Class of 2012
- George Dean Johnson, Jr., Johnson Management
- Ambassador Bonnie McElveen-Hunter, Pace Communications
- Joan & Robert Zimmerman, Southern Shows, Inc.
Class of 2011
- Herman Blumenthal, Radiator Specialty and North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- Wayland H. Cato, Jr., The Cato Corporation
- Dr. Jim Goodnight, SAS
Class of 2010
- Ralph Ketner, Food Lion
- Leon Levine, Family Dollar Stores
- Jerry Richardson, Spartan Foods and the Carolina Panthers
- William Henry Belk, 1862-1952, Belk, Inc.
- James Edgar Broyhill, 1892-1988, Broyhill Furniture Industries
- Thomas H. Davis, 1918-1999, Piedmont Airlines
- James B. Duke, 1856-1925, Duke Power Co.
- R.J. Reynolds, 1850-1918, R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
- Leroy Springs, 1861-1931, Springs Cotton Mills
- Queens to Dedicate Porter B. Byrum Hall in Honor of Largest Gift in the University’s History
- Author Michael Lewis Shares His Thoughts on Wall Street
- Jeff Brown Named Ally CEO
- Jane McIntyre Named Charlotte's 2014 Woman of the Year
- Local Author Helen Weaver Speaks at Queens to Encourage Students' Fundraising Campaign for St. Jude
- The Dean's Digest - February 2015
- Queens to Expand and Enhance Knight School of Communication with $3 Million Gift
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Captivates Audience at Spring Convocation
- Professor Tosha Arriola Served as Event Chair for Mayor's Mentoring Alliance Ceremony
- MFA Events, Undergraduate Workshop Engage Community of Writers