Communication Student Awards
This year, Dr. John A. McArthur presented the award for outstanding student in the Knight School of Communication as well as announcing the recipient of the Robert Knowles Communication Scholarship.
Outstanding Communication Student
An Outstanding Communication Student is selected from the graduating seniors each year by Knight School of Communication faculty based upon academic performance and contribution to the Knight School of Communication. This year’s recipient is not only a talented student and an excellent writer, but she also has a passion for living out Queens’ motto: Not to be served but to serve.
If you don’t know her, you should read her editorial in last week’s Chronicle entitled, “The biggest gifts in life are the simplest.”
On behalf of the Knight School of Communication faculty, our outstanding Communication Student in the class of 2011 is: Allison Gaskin
Robert Knowles Scholarship & Internships
Robert Knowles, who died in May 2003 of uveal melanoma, spent his life as a passionate and energetic journalist. It is in his honor that the Robert Knowles scholarship was established at Queens by his family. This scholarship is designed for a junior or senior communication major whose goal is to contribute to public knowledge and improve the life of the community through a career in communication. The scholarship is accompanied by internship opportunities in the Charlotte media market.
In her letter of application, this year’s recipient wrote:
Fear and uncertainty clouded my mind for the first few weeks at Queens, as I debated whether I belonged with these people in this place. However, after those first few weeks, the light of diligence and confidence that has pushed me throughout my life finally sparked into a burning fire.
The prestigious Robert Knowles Scholarship and Internships Award is awarded to: Dana McGrath
Congratulations to both recipients and all of the individuals recognized at the 2011 Awards Convocation.
- Queens Celebrates Banned Book Week
- Dr. John Bennett Writes Article for The Employers Association
- CBJ Features Queens’ Entrepreneur Leadership Circle
- Queens Prepares Community for Election Season
- Queens Helps Repair Charlotte Through Art
- Students Welcome Loved Ones to Family Weekend 2016
- Queens Rallies Together in Time of Need
- Queens Alerts Students of Sexual Misconduct Cases on Campus
- Queens once again makes U.S. News & World Report's Top 25 List
- MBA and MSOD Programs Recognized in CBJ