The Dean's Digest - May 2013
If you happened to be driving past 1900 Selwyn Avenue the first weekend in May, you likely saw faculty in colorful caps and gowns, you heard processional music being played, you saw three and four generations of families sitting on the lawn in front of Burwell Hall, and you heard lively and spirited students as they celebrated receiving their degrees. Graduation had arrived for the Class of 2013!
Always a festive occasion, graduation was particularly meaningful to me this year because I knew many of the business students as they walked across the stage. Seniors who were campus leaders or athletes, including Brittany Barnwell, Jacqueline Myers, Max Kaczynski and Brian Fuller (who was co-valedictorian of the graduating class!). EMBA students who sparkled during the business plan competition (see related story). Hayworth College students, including John Lambert who won Outstanding Student in Business Administration and Outstanding Hayworth Student. PMBA and MSOD students who completed a particularly long journey taking one or two classes a semester and working full-time. The MSEC students were the first graduating class from the program (read more about the graduates here). Kudos all around!
As we celebrate the hard work and successes of our students, allow me also to mention the hard work and successes of McColl School faculty and staff. This year we inaugurated Excellence Awards for faculty performances in undergraduate teaching, graduate teaching, research, and service, and an Excellence Award for a staff member who goes above and beyond normal expectations to help students, implement innovations, and/or improve operations.
In March faculty, staff and students were invited to nominate colleagues and teachers. Nominees were then invited to submit supporting evidence to a faculty committee who made the selections. The McColl School is pleased to recognize the following Excellence Award honorees:
- Undergraduate teaching - Dr. Les Hudson
- Graduate teaching - Dr. John Bennett
- Research - Dr. Harry ("Chip") Bowen
- Service - Dr. Steve Cox
We announced these winners at the last faculty/staff meeting of the academic year and now we are sharing this good news with you. Congratulations to all and to all our nominees as well!
As always, we'd love to hear from you, we'd love to meet you for coffee some morning, and we would love for you to subscribe to the McColl School blog. It's your move.
- MBA and MSOD Programs Recognized in CBJ
- Conceptual Era Places Emphasis on Liberal Arts
- New MSOD Course: Learning & Facilitation
- Queens Celebrates Visionary Women
- Queens' Online MBA Ranked Best in North America
- 2016 Case Competition
- Debra Plousha Moore Recognized as BusinessWoman of the Year Award Recipient
- McColl School Graduate Students Benefit from Executive Coaching
- Peter Browning and Will Sparks Co-Author "The Director's Manual: A Framework for Board Governance"
- McColl School Undergrads Teach Middle School Students Leadership Skills