Dr. Frederick Inaugurates New Provost’s Lecture Series
Nearly 100 people kicked off the inaugural Provost's Lecture Series event featuring Dr. Norris Frederick, the James A. Jones Chair of Philosophy and Religion at Queens.
Members of the Queens community, including students, faculty and staff, as well as guests from other universities and Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools, were on hand to hear Dr. Frederick discuss William James' book Talks to Teachers and "The Science and Art of Teaching."
First published in 1899, Talks to Teachers has remained influential for more than a century thanks to James' unique insights as a psychologist, philosopher, and beloved teacher at Harvard. Dr. Frederick explored the relevance of the book today for pedagogy and the teaching life.
Dr. Frederick is a longtime professor at Queens who has also served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and as Vice President for Academic Affairs. His major interests in teaching philosophy include ethics, the philosophy of religion, and philosophy as a way of life (including existentialism and pragmatism). The recipient of three teaching awards from Queens, he has published and lectured both nationally and locally on the thought and life of William James.
"This is one of several initiatives at Queens designed to expand opportunities for quality intellectual discourse," said Dr. Abiodun Goke-Pariola, Queens Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The series will be a semiannual event featuring distinguished Queens faculty recognized by the Provost for their academic achievements and contributions to their field of study. The lectures are also an opportunity for Queens and the greater Charlotte academic community to connect and engage. The Fall 2014 speaker will be Dr. Robert Whalen, the Carolyn G. and Sam H. McMahon, Jr. Professor of History. In Spring 2015 Queens will feature Dr. Greg Pillar, the William S. Lee Professor of Environmental Science & Chemistry.
In case you missed it, watch the lecture series, featuring Dr. Norris, on YouTube: http://ow.ly/uUzWO
- Queens Celebrates Leaders at Student Life Awards
- Queens Raises Awareness on Voting, Topics for 2016 Presidential Election
- Alumni Reunion 2016 Welcomes Over 200 Alumni
- Biology Senior Discovers Bacteriophage During Honors Thesis Research
- Queens Announces 2016 Commencement Speakers
- Brand Awakening
- Students 'Rock the Mock' and Gain Invaluable Interview Experience
- Scholars Luncheon Celebrates Donors and the Queens Experience
- Students Raise Over $45,000 for St. Jude Up 'til Dawn
- Affirming Queens' Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion