Dr. Pupchek presents results of Fulbright research
05/24/12 - Leanne Pupchek presented the first results of her Fulbright research at an invitation-only conference in L'viv, Ukraine on May 18. Her paper, "Identity (in)formation: Evaluating UEFA's EURO2012 website for evidence of the new Ukraine" shared the lingering Western conception of Ukraine as one of many "post-Soviet" nations. Evaluating the web treatment of Ukraine compared to its co-host "twin" Poland, reveals significant gaps in the credibility and charisma of UEFA's website and links that work against Ukraine and suggest Ukraine will not benefit from the tournament as much as it hopes. The 1.5 hours of discussion were active and revelatory. The paper is part of her planned book-length manuscript that will describe the national identity of Ukraine from different points of view and in different voices. She shared the conference podium with two other speakers, one from Samora, Russia and the other from Kyiv, Ukraine. See her blog for full reports.
- Chuck Wendig '98 Conjures the Force to Discuss His 'Star Wars' Novel
- Megan Wagner '16 Lands Internship-to-Career Opportunity at Siemens Energy
- Charlotte Agenda Declares Men's Basketball Team as 'Charlotte's Team'
- Holly Lane '15 Wins 'Best Student Film' at 100 Words Film Festival
- President Davies Receives Excellence in Leadership Award
- Sally Van Cleve '17 Receives Community Impact Award
- Students Conduct Mock Interviews with Employer Volunteers
- Queens Women's Triathlon Team Wins National Title in First Year
- Generous Gift Positions Queens as Leader in Social Justice
- The Learning Society Shapes Intellectual Dialogue by Hosting Sir Salman Rushdie