Dr. White received distinguished Prof. award
The Joseph W. Grier Jr. Distinguished Professor Award was established in honor of the former chairman of the Queens University of Charlotte board of trustees.
Nominations for this award are solicited from members of the board of trustees and the alumni board, from faculty, students and staff. The recipient must have made an outstanding contribution to Queens University of Charlotte and the teaching and learning process.
The 2012 recipient is a dedicated, creative teacher who inspires students by seeing value in their contributions, while challenging them to embrace learning passionately. He goes beyond the routine, asking students not only to understand, but also to want to understand. Using ingenious applications and techniques, he teaches his undergraduate and graduate students powerful lessons, seeking to help them contextualize their learning and to impact the fabric of their lives.
He holds a PhD in contemporary rhetorical theory from Purdue University, a master of critical-cultural studies from San Diego State University and a bachelor of arts in speech communication from the University of San Diego.
"If I had to explain his style," one student says, "it would be personable, witty, intelligent and fun. Whenever he teaches I can tell it is with true passion....the most used sentence I have heard is he is such a cool guy...What stands out to me...is how much he loves learning, even though he is the expert. His facial expressions when students give great answers that make him think, speak for that."
His colleagues in the Knight School of Communication value his easy, thoughtful manner, his diligent contribution to the Graduate Qualifications Committee and his efforts in support of the school's goal to increase digital and media literacy in Charlotte. He is active across the university, serving on the Honors Committee, and teaching in the Core Program and John Belk International Program. He is productive in research and scholarship, publishing journal articles and making presentations at the National Communication Association Conference.
With great pride and gratitude for his outstanding contributions, Queens University of Charlotte is pleased to name as the Joseph W. Grier Jr. Distinguished Professor of 2012. Dr. Zachary White, Assistant Professor in the Knight School of Communication, received this award at Spring Convocation on Tuesday, April 10, 2012. Congratulations to Dr. White.
- Queens Student Sells Jewelry to Raise Money for the Dominican Republic
- Royals Swimmer Working Toward Olympic Team
- Case Competition Scholarship Leads Mitchel Sayers '16 to Excel at McColl School
- Queens Welcomes Four More to its Growing Triathlon Team
- Dr. Suzanne Henderson to Participate in Teaching Interfaith Understanding Seminar
- Truly Connected City Takes More Than Google Fiber
- Dean Eric Freedman Profiled in Charlotte Agenda
- USA Triathlon Awards Queens a Grant to Develop Team and Strengthen Olympic Pipeline
- Queens Honors the Browns with Unveiling of Hall Brown Terrace
- Many Individuals Honored at Queens' 2015 Commencement