Dr. White received distinguished Prof. award
The Joseph W. Grier Jr. Distinguished Professor Award was established in honor of the former chairman of the Queens University of Charlotte board of trustees.
Nominations for this award are solicited from members of the board of trustees and the alumni board, from faculty, students and staff. The recipient must have made an outstanding contribution to Queens University of Charlotte and the teaching and learning process.
The 2012 recipient is a dedicated, creative teacher who inspires students by seeing value in their contributions, while challenging them to embrace learning passionately. He goes beyond the routine, asking students not only to understand, but also to want to understand. Using ingenious applications and techniques, he teaches his undergraduate and graduate students powerful lessons, seeking to help them contextualize their learning and to impact the fabric of their lives.
He holds a PhD in contemporary rhetorical theory from Purdue University, a master of critical-cultural studies from San Diego State University and a bachelor of arts in speech communication from the University of San Diego.
"If I had to explain his style," one student says, "it would be personable, witty, intelligent and fun. Whenever he teaches I can tell it is with true passion....the most used sentence I have heard is he is such a cool guy...What stands out to me...is how much he loves learning, even though he is the expert. His facial expressions when students give great answers that make him think, speak for that."
His colleagues in the Knight School of Communication value his easy, thoughtful manner, his diligent contribution to the Graduate Qualifications Committee and his efforts in support of the school's goal to increase digital and media literacy in Charlotte. He is active across the university, serving on the Honors Committee, and teaching in the Core Program and John Belk International Program. He is productive in research and scholarship, publishing journal articles and making presentations at the National Communication Association Conference.
With great pride and gratitude for his outstanding contributions, Queens University of Charlotte is pleased to name as the Joseph W. Grier Jr. Distinguished Professor of 2012. Dr. Zachary White, Assistant Professor in the Knight School of Communication, received this award at Spring Convocation on Tuesday, April 10, 2012. Congratulations to Dr. White.
- Professor Morri Creech is named a Pulitzer Prize Finalist
- Dr. Best Co-authors Textbook Chapter
- Student Carl Schlotman releases a book that helps students attain internships and jobs
- Queens students and alumni rub elbows with top employers at Schmoozapalooza
- Queens participates in the Washington Model for the Organization of American States
- Queens students organize a community forum to discuss immigration
- Professor Israel's Poem Published in Queens Magazine.
- Dr, Perkins Will Present a Climate Change Paper at Meeting
- Dr. Patrick Connor, Panthers head team physician, gives a behind-the-scenes look at sports medicine
- Dr. Commins Publishes Article