Professor Mohammed el-Nawawy Releases "Egyptian Revolution 2.0"
Queens Professor Mohammed el-Nawawy recently released his sixth book, "Egyptian Revolution 2.0," which sheds light on the growing phenomenon of cyberactivism in the Arab world. Egyptian Revolution 2.0 focuses on the Egyptian political blogosphere and its role in democratization and socio-political change in Egypt, which culminated in Egypt's historical popular revolution on Jan. 25, 2011.
The book examines the relevance of citizen journalism and civic engagement through five of the most popular political blogs in Egypt. It explores the potential connection between virtual activism, as represented in the postings on these blogs, and real activism in Egyptian political life, as represented in the calls for social, economic and political reform on the streets.
Professor el-Nawawy is a Knight-Crane endowed chair and associate professor in the Knight School of Communication. His areas of expertise and research focus on the new media in the Middle East, particularly satellite channels and the Internet and their impact on the Arab public sphere. His other books include:
- Islam dot Com: Contemporary Islamic Discourses in Cyberspace (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009)
- Mediating Conflict: Al-Jazeera English and the Possibility of a Conciliatory Media (Figueroa Press, 2008)
- Al-Jazeera: The story of the network that is rattling governments and redefining modern journalism (Westview Press, 2003)
- Al-Jazeera: How the free Arab news network scooped the world and changed the Middle East (Westview Press, 2002)
- The Israeli-Egyptian peace process in the reporting of Western journalists (Greenwood Publishers, 2002)
Professor el-Nawawy is published in several national and foreign journals in the international communication field. He is the founding and senior editor of the Journal of Middle East Media and serves on the editorial boards of Media, War and Conflict, Journalism Education and Global Media. He is also a board member on the Arab-U.S. Association for Communication Educators. Professor el-Nawawy's work on Arab media in general, and Al-Jazeera in particular, has attracted the attention of the popular press inside and outside the United States.
- Alumna Named Georgia's Elementary Science Teacher of the Year
- Knight School and Google Fiber Announce Partnership to Serve Community
- Professor Jonas Discusses Healthcare on WFAE
- Queens Announces First Destination Report
- U.S. News & World Report Praises Queens Online Programs
- Student Perseveres Despite Uncertain Future
- Fall 2016 Knight School Dean's List
- Faculty, Alumna Recognized by CharlotteFive for Blogs
- Andrea B. Smith Named Queens' 2016 BusinessWoman of the Year
- Funderburk Publishes Poetry, MFA Faculty Named Genius Award Winners