Queens kicks off football feasibility study
With the support of its Board of Trustees, Queens University of Charlotte is currently exploring the possibility of adding a football program to its roster.
Queens is considering football after being approached by the South Atlantic Conference (SAC), the university's athletic conference since July 1, 2013. The SAC is an NCAA Division II conference that includes other private, southeastern schools such as Anderson University (Anderson, SC), Lenoir-Rhyne University (Hickory, NC), Carson-Newman University (Jefferson City, TN), and Wingate University (Wingate, NC). Football was not a requirement for joining the SAC, but Queens is one of a few schools in the conference without it.
With the help of an outside consultant, Queens is conducting a feasibility study to look at key factors such as impact on academic and residential planning, a financial analysis and where the team would practice and play. Queens' main campus in Myers Park doesn't have room for a football facility so that question is being considered.
As part of the exploration, Vice President for Enrollment Management Brian Ralph will convene a task force representing all facets of the campus community (students, faculty, alumni, donors and staff). This task force will review the findings of the feasibility study and ultimately make a recommendation at the Board of Trustees' February, 2014 meeting.
"We are intrigued by the possibility of football and what it could mean for both the Royals Athletics program and the overall Queens experience," said Queens President Pamela Davies. "We're looking forward to engaging in the process."
- Queens Student Sells Jewelry to Raise Money for the Dominican Republic
- Royals Swimmer Working Toward Olympic Team
- Case Competition Scholarship Leads Mitchel Sayers '16 to Excel at McColl School
- Queens Welcomes Four More to its Growing Triathlon Team
- Dr. Suzanne Henderson to Participate in Teaching Interfaith Understanding Seminar
- Truly Connected City Takes More Than Google Fiber
- Dean Eric Freedman Profiled in Charlotte Agenda
- USA Triathlon Awards Queens a Grant to Develop Team and Strengthen Olympic Pipeline
- Queens Honors the Browns with Unveiling of Hall Brown Terrace
- Many Individuals Honored at Queens' 2015 Commencement