Queens kicks off football feasibility study
With the support of its Board of Trustees, Queens University of Charlotte is currently exploring the possibility of adding a football program to its roster.
Queens is considering football after being approached by the South Atlantic Conference (SAC), the university's athletic conference since July 1, 2013. The SAC is an NCAA Division II conference that includes other private, southeastern schools such as Anderson University (Anderson, SC), Lenoir-Rhyne University (Hickory, NC), Carson-Newman University (Jefferson City, TN), and Wingate University (Wingate, NC). Football was not a requirement for joining the SAC, but Queens is one of a few schools in the conference without it.
With the help of an outside consultant, Queens is conducting a feasibility study to look at key factors such as impact on academic and residential planning, a financial analysis and where the team would practice and play. Queens' main campus in Myers Park doesn't have room for a football facility so that question is being considered.
As part of the exploration, Vice President for Enrollment Management Brian Ralph will convene a task force representing all facets of the campus community (students, faculty, alumni, donors and staff). This task force will review the findings of the feasibility study and ultimately make a recommendation at the Board of Trustees' February, 2014 meeting.
"We are intrigued by the possibility of football and what it could mean for both the Royals Athletics program and the overall Queens experience," said Queens President Pamela Davies. "We're looking forward to engaging in the process."
- The Dean's Digest - December 2014
- 2014 NSSE Report Ranks Queens Among Top Schools
- Dr. Tama Morris Named Dean of Blair College of Health, Director of PSN
- Byrd's Resilience Earns Her All-American Honors
- Josa to Compete for Team USA in 2015 World University Games
- The Dean's Digest - November 2014
- Queens announces addition of NCAA Division II women's field hockey program
- The Entrepreneur Leadership Circle holds its 2014 Hall of Fame induction event
- Dr. Roger Baumgarte, author of "Friends Beyond Borders," to present at Queens
- Triathlete Holly Annas '12 demonstrates world-class endurance and enthusiasm