Legendary soccer coach Fred Norchi to be inducted into the Royals Hall of Fame
Queens is pleased to announce the 2014 Royals Hall of Fame induction of legendary soccer coach Fred Norchi. Pacing the sidelines as a soccer coach at Queens for 22 seasons, Norchi created a dominant program in both the region and nation and finished a celebrated career in 2010 with 246 career wins as the men's coach and 306 wins with both programs.
During his historic tenure at Queens Norchi coached 10 All-Americans, was the conference Coach of the Year seven times, and was the Southeast's coach of the year five times. His remarkable career record of 246-102-25 is currently No. 21 all-time by winning percentage and No. 15 all-time in victories in Division II.
Norchi came to Queens in 1989 where he was tabbed with creating the varsity women's soccer program, and just one year later, he did the same on the men's side. Norchi continued to coach both teams with success until 1996, when he turned his focus solely to the men's side finishing with a career record of 60-45-5 as the head women's coach.
While coaching the men's team Norchi's teams finished the season ranked top 25 in the nation nine times in the ISAA/NSCAA Coaches Poll with the highest ranking of No. 7 in 1999. His teams participated in the NCAA tournament five times and reached the Elite 8 twice.
The Royals were also a force in conference play during his time at Queens as Norchi's squads won eight regular season championships and five conference tournament titles. Under his leadership 55 players were named all-conference or honorable mention with 32 players chosen as all-tournament players, four tournament MVP selections, three Freshman of the Year choices, four Player of the Year selections, six All-CVAC team members, and 13 Players of the Week. Just as impressive was when the Carolina-Virginia Athletic Conference's All-Time Team was chosen in 2006 -- six of Norchi's players were named to the 10 man roster.
The induction will take place during the Hall of Fame and Royals Alumni Weekend, October 3-5. For more information, click here.
- Queens to Dedicate Porter B. Byrum Hall in Honor of Largest Gift in the University’s History
- The McColl School of Business Announces New Executive Director of Executive Leadership
- Royals Field Hockey Signs First Student-Athlete
- The Dean's Digest - March 2015
- Eboo Patel, Interfaith Champion, to Speak at Queens
- Queens MFA Instructor Claudia Rankine Receives NBCC Award
- President Davies to Receive the Sydnor Thompson Community Leader Award
- The Friends of the Library Welcomed Award Winning Authors To Campus
- The McColl School of Business Announces New Dean
- Author Michael Lewis Shares His Thoughts on Wall Street