Dr. George Kuh to Visit Queens' Campus
On Thursday, August 15, Queens University of Charlotte will welcome to campus Dr. George Kuh, a national expert on student engagement. Queens faculty, as well as faculty from other area universities and colleges, will have the opportunity to listen to Dr. Kuh present "What Matters to Student Success: Lessons From the Field." The presentation will focus on innovative "high-impact" educational practices, a movement within higher education that continues to gain momentum.
High impact practices are a set of purposeful learning experiences that have been shown to deepen student learning and engagement; raise levels of performance, retention and success for students; and invoke intellectually engaging and effective educational practices. They include practices such as writing intensive courses, undergraduate research, capstone courses and projects, collaborative assignments and projects, diversity/global learning and internships, with the last two being key components of the Queens undergraduate experience.
Dr. Kuh is chancellor's professor of higher education emeritus at Indiana University Bloomington, as well as the founding director of the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). The NSSE focuses on the quality of undergraduate learning and assesses the extent to which students engage in educational practices that have shown to be associated with high levels of learning and development. Dr. Kuh has more than 350 publications and has made several hundred presentations on topics related to institutional improvement, college student engagement, assessment strategies and campus cultures. In addition, he has been a consultant to more than 375 institutions of higher education and educational agencies in the United States and abroad.
Queens is honored for this opportunity to learn from and engage with one of higher education's finest thought-provoking leaders. Learn more about Dr. George Kuh and why high-impact practices are important for a quality undergraduate education.
- Author Michael Lewis Shares His Thoughts on Wall Street
- Jeff Brown Named Ally CEO
- Jane McIntyre Named Charlotte's 2014 Woman of the Year
- Local Author Helen Weaver Speaks at Queens to Encourage Students' Fundraising Campaign for St. Jude
- The Dean's Digest - February 2015
- Queens to Expand and Enhance Knight School of Communication with $3 Million Gift
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Captivates Audience at Spring Convocation
- Professor Tosha Arriola Served as Event Chair for Mayor's Mentoring Alliance Ceremony
- MFA Events, Undergraduate Workshop Engage Community of Writers
- Alumnus Brian Williams '09 Featured in Creative Loafing