Dr. George Kuh to Visit Queens' Campus
On Thursday, August 15, Queens University of Charlotte will welcome to campus Dr. George Kuh, a national expert on student engagement. Queens faculty, as well as faculty from other area universities and colleges, will have the opportunity to listen to Dr. Kuh present "What Matters to Student Success: Lessons From the Field." The presentation will focus on innovative "high-impact" educational practices, a movement within higher education that continues to gain momentum.
High impact practices are a set of purposeful learning experiences that have been shown to deepen student learning and engagement; raise levels of performance, retention and success for students; and invoke intellectually engaging and effective educational practices. They include practices such as writing intensive courses, undergraduate research, capstone courses and projects, collaborative assignments and projects, diversity/global learning and internships, with the last two being key components of the Queens undergraduate experience.
Dr. Kuh is chancellor's professor of higher education emeritus at Indiana University Bloomington, as well as the founding director of the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). The NSSE focuses on the quality of undergraduate learning and assesses the extent to which students engage in educational practices that have shown to be associated with high levels of learning and development. Dr. Kuh has more than 350 publications and has made several hundred presentations on topics related to institutional improvement, college student engagement, assessment strategies and campus cultures. In addition, he has been a consultant to more than 375 institutions of higher education and educational agencies in the United States and abroad.
Queens is honored for this opportunity to learn from and engage with one of higher education's finest thought-provoking leaders. Learn more about Dr. George Kuh and why high-impact practices are important for a quality undergraduate education.
- Cato Students Meet Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts
- Chamber Singers Learn, Perform in NYC
- Queens is a leader in health care education
- McColl School Graduate Students Benefit from Executive Coaching
- Peter Browning and Will Sparks Co-Author "The Director's Manual: A Framework for Board Governance"
- Students Embrace Community Service to Honor Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Cell Biology Students Judge Sedgefield Elementary Science Fair
- Students Create Fairy Tale Reenactments for Spanish-Speaking Preschoolers
- Bart Lundy Leads Men's Basketball to National Ranking
- Father and Son Contribute to Queens' Basketball Success