Dr. George Kuh to Visit Queens' Campus
On Thursday, August 15, Queens University of Charlotte will welcome to campus Dr. George Kuh, a national expert on student engagement. Queens faculty, as well as faculty from other area universities and colleges, will have the opportunity to listen to Dr. Kuh present "What Matters to Student Success: Lessons From the Field." The presentation will focus on innovative "high-impact" educational practices, a movement within higher education that continues to gain momentum.
High impact practices are a set of purposeful learning experiences that have been shown to deepen student learning and engagement; raise levels of performance, retention and success for students; and invoke intellectually engaging and effective educational practices. They include practices such as writing intensive courses, undergraduate research, capstone courses and projects, collaborative assignments and projects, diversity/global learning and internships, with the last two being key components of the Queens undergraduate experience.
Dr. Kuh is chancellor's professor of higher education emeritus at Indiana University Bloomington, as well as the founding director of the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). The NSSE focuses on the quality of undergraduate learning and assesses the extent to which students engage in educational practices that have shown to be associated with high levels of learning and development. Dr. Kuh has more than 350 publications and has made several hundred presentations on topics related to institutional improvement, college student engagement, assessment strategies and campus cultures. In addition, he has been a consultant to more than 375 institutions of higher education and educational agencies in the United States and abroad.
Queens is honored for this opportunity to learn from and engage with one of higher education's finest thought-provoking leaders. Learn more about Dr. George Kuh and why high-impact practices are important for a quality undergraduate education.
- Queens Recognized as Top Fundraising School for St. Jude's
- Students Gain Valuable Experience at Seacrest Studios Internship
- Quest for Wonder
- Queens Holds First STEM Camp
- Alumnus Malek Jandali is Honored as a 2015 Great Immigrant - The Pride of America
- Queens Hosts Under Armour All-America Camp
- Queens to Break Ground on State-of-the-Art Tennis Center
- Queens Student Sells Jewelry to Raise Money for the Dominican Republic
- Royals Swimmer Working Toward Olympic Team
- Case Competition Scholarship Leads Mitchel Sayers '16 to Excel at McColl School