Dr. George Kuh to Visit Queens' Campus
On Thursday, August 15, Queens University of Charlotte will welcome to campus Dr. George Kuh, a national expert on student engagement. Queens faculty, as well as faculty from other area universities and colleges, will have the opportunity to listen to Dr. Kuh present "What Matters to Student Success: Lessons From the Field." The presentation will focus on innovative "high-impact" educational practices, a movement within higher education that continues to gain momentum.
High impact practices are a set of purposeful learning experiences that have been shown to deepen student learning and engagement; raise levels of performance, retention and success for students; and invoke intellectually engaging and effective educational practices. They include practices such as writing intensive courses, undergraduate research, capstone courses and projects, collaborative assignments and projects, diversity/global learning and internships, with the last two being key components of the Queens undergraduate experience.
Dr. Kuh is chancellor's professor of higher education emeritus at Indiana University Bloomington, as well as the founding director of the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). The NSSE focuses on the quality of undergraduate learning and assesses the extent to which students engage in educational practices that have shown to be associated with high levels of learning and development. Dr. Kuh has more than 350 publications and has made several hundred presentations on topics related to institutional improvement, college student engagement, assessment strategies and campus cultures. In addition, he has been a consultant to more than 375 institutions of higher education and educational agencies in the United States and abroad.
Queens is honored for this opportunity to learn from and engage with one of higher education's finest thought-provoking leaders. Learn more about Dr. George Kuh and why high-impact practices are important for a quality undergraduate education.
- Queens Celebrates Leaders at Student Life Awards
- Queens Raises Awareness on Voting, Topics for 2016 Presidential Election
- Alumni Reunion 2016 Welcomes Over 200 Alumni
- Biology Senior Discovers Bacteriophage During Honors Thesis Research
- Queens Announces 2016 Commencement Speakers
- Brand Awakening
- Students 'Rock the Mock' and Gain Invaluable Interview Experience
- Scholars Luncheon Celebrates Donors and the Queens Experience
- Students Raise Over $45,000 for St. Jude Up 'til Dawn
- Affirming Queens' Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion