Queens Athletics to host golf fundraiser followed by "From the Rough" movie launch party
The Athletics Department of Queens University of Charlotte invites the public to participate in its 2nd annual Royals Golf Outing, a friendly competition and fundraiser in support of Queens' student-athletes. The event is Monday, April 21 at Firethorne Country Club, 1108 Firethorne Club Drive, in Marvin, NC. Shotgun start is 11 a.m.
Established in 1987, Queens' NCAA Division II program offers diverse intercollegiate athletics competition to more than 340 student-athletes participating on 19 men's and women's sports teams.
"We are pleased to once again host this special event that combines our university and our community, as we come together to support Queens athletics," said Queens athletics director Jeannie King. "All of the proceeds directly benefit our student-athletes in our programs and department, and we encourage everyone to participate."
The 2013 Royals Golf Outing welcomed more than 120 golfers and 75 auction items. The event raised more than $20,000, and the university hopes to improve upon that number at this year's outing. Firethorne Country Club, located on almost 400 acres of land, is a Tom Jackson designed golf course.
Special honoree at the event will be Dr. Catana Starks, who in 1987 became the first African-American woman to coach a men's NCAA Division I golf team when she took the job at Tennessee State University, a historically black college in Nashville. Starks is a former classmate of Olympic track and field star Wilma Rudolph. She also coached Canadian Sean Foley, who is currently Tiger Woods' and Lee Westwood's swing coach.
The soon-to-be-released movie "From the Rough" - starring Academy Award® nominees Taraji P. Henson as Dr. Catana Starks, Michael Clarke Duncan of "The Green Mile, and Tom Felton from the "Harry Potter" movie series - features Coach Starks' trailblazing efforts to overcome incredible odds.
"From the Rough" will be released nationally in 35 cities, including Charlotte and Winston-Salem, on Friday, April 25. Watch the trailer and check local listings for specific theaters.
For details on the Royals Golf Outing, visit 2014 Royals Golf Outing.
- Queens Alumni Assist 'The Lunch Project' Feed Children, Better Their Education
- Freshmen Connect Through Interfaith Urban Immersion Experience
- Queens Participates in Heart Walk, Supports American Heart Association
- Famed Horowitz Piano Comes to Queens
- Cato Call for Third-Party Comments
- Online MSN Program Alumna First to Earn CNL Certification
- Forty Organizations Attend Non-Profit Volunteer and Internship Fair
- MFA Alumna Amy Bagwell Inspires Others through "The Wall Poems of Charlotte"
- MSOD Community Leadership Project Seeks Donations
- McColl School of Business Welcomes New Dean Richard Mathieu