Twelfth annual Guatemala mission trip
A group of undergraduate students spent their spring break in Guatemala as part of the annual service mission by Queens. This is the 12th group from the university to serve there.
The students were in Guatemala from March 3-10, participating in education sessions, meeting with various churches and visiting non-profit organizations. Some worked in rural communities and all stayed with Guatemalan families during a portion of the trip.
For more than a decade, the Rev. Dr. Diane Mowrey, Queens' chaplain and professor of religion, has taken groups of students to Guatemala during spring break. The goal of the Guatemala outreach is to build relationships and to deepen one's exploration of faith. Over the years students have built bathrooms and roofs - and even a rabbit hutch - but most importantly they've forged relationships with the people they visit.
Participants have come back with a better understanding of who they are, about God's role in their life and of how God works in a world beyond the one they've known, Mowrey says.
This year's group is: Alexis Brown, Jessie Hunt, Kim Prucha, Brandy Baker, Jorge Munoz, Steven Goodson, Erika Rasile, Rae Manyika, Caroline Fogle, Kaitlyn Blakey, Liz Formica and Danielle Phillips.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-ed, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university with a commitment to both liberal arts and professional studies. Located in the heart of historic Charlotte, Queens serves approximately 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students through its College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the Wayland H. Cato, Jr. School of Education, the James L. Knight School of Communication, Hayworth College for Adult Studies and the Andrew Blair College of Health which features the Presbyterian School of Nursing.
- The Dean's Digest - December 2014
- 2014 NSSE Report Ranks Queens Among Top Schools
- Dr. Tama Morris Named Dean of Blair College of Health, Director of PSN
- Byrd's Resilience Earns Her All-American Honors
- Josa to Compete for Team USA in 2015 World University Games
- The Dean's Digest - November 2014
- Queens announces addition of NCAA Division II women's field hockey program
- The Entrepreneur Leadership Circle holds its 2014 Hall of Fame induction event
- Dr. Roger Baumgarte, author of "Friends Beyond Borders," to present at Queens
- Triathlete Holly Annas '12 demonstrates world-class endurance and enthusiasm