Queens students organize a community forum to discuss immigration
Queens has partnering with the Levine Museum of the New South to host a community forum around immigration in Charlotte in an effort to foster informed, respectful dialogue around the issue. Organized by a group of students from Professor Margaret Commins' Honors 220/Politics 319 class, the event will feature a panel of local experts who will share their answers to the question, "What would you like the community to understand about immigrants and immigration?"
The panel will feature Javier Diaz de Leon, the Consul General of the Mexican consulate in Raleigh; Cynthia Aziz, a local immigration attorney; Elisa Benitez, a representative from United 4 the Dream; and Rebecca Carvajal, a representative from Communities in Schools who works with Latino youth.
The event will also feature artwork created by kids, and their parents, from Holy Comforter Episcopal Church's La Escuelita preschool. Queens students helped the preschoolers create a poster depicting his/her story. They were guided to do so by Annabel Manning, a local artist whose work, Out of the Shadows: Undocumented and Unafraid, is currently on display at the museum. Annabel helped parents create their pieces by giving them a picture of their child. Using glass on top of the picture, they repainted the picture, depicting their child as they see him/her in the future, thus reflecting their dreams for their child. The glass was then printed onto paper.
This educational event begins at 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 13 at the Levine Museum of the New South (200 E. 7th Street) and will be followed by light refreshments. Admission to the panel and museum is free.
- The Dean's Digest - December 2014
- Dr. Tama Morris Named Dean of Blair College of Health, Director of PSN
- Byrd's Resilience Earns Her All-American Honors
- Josa to Compete for Team USA in 2015 World University Games
- The Dean's Digest - November 2014
- Queens announces addition of NCAA Division II women's field hockey program
- The Entrepreneur Leadership Circle holds its 2014 Hall of Fame induction event
- Dr. Roger Baumgarte, author of "Friends Beyond Borders," to present at Queens
- Triathlete Holly Annas '12 demonstrates world-class endurance and enthusiasm
- Dean Eric Freedman appointed to the Library Board of Trustees