James Bullock receives AFP Award
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) has named James Bullock their Outstanding Fundraising Executive for Charlotte in 2012. James, Vice President for University Advancement with Queens, has more than twenty-three years of fundraising experience. He will receive his award on November 7 - National Philanthropy Day - alongside other outstanding champions including Porter Byrum, who will be named Outstanding Philanthropist in part based on his generous support of Queens University of Charlotte. More than 500 of Charlotte's top business leaders, foundations and charities come together to celebrate the vibrant philanthropic community that has an impact on every corner of our area.James has transformed the fundraising experience at Queens and has worked with colleges and universities, independent schools, religious and healthcare organizations both professionally and in a volunteer capacity.
Understanding that successful fundraising is based on successful personal relationships, James puts that belief into practice every day, both with his team and with potential donors and volunteers. He would be the first to say that his success at Queens is founded in the leadership and partnership of President Pamela Davies. The partnership of James' fundraising skills, knowledge and relationships with Pamela's vision for the future of Queens has been instrumental to the university's recent success.
"James represents everything that is good about advancement," says Dr. Davies, "He sees how a gift can impact our students and our community, he understands the personal perspective of our donors, and he can articulate our vision of the future in a way that is engaging and compelling."
Since coming to Queens, James has achieved transformational results in partnership with the university's President Pamela Davies, including:
• The completion of the $100 million Investing in Queens' Future capital campaign more than a year early, at $10 million over goal. This total is double Queens' next largest capital campaign.
• Broadening Queens donor base by securing 45% of the number of campaign gifts from friends of the university, to complement the 55% of the number of gifts that came from alumni.
• Leading Queens to a record-breaking year for fundraising in the final stretch of the campaign, raising $53 million in fiscal year 2011 . . . more than triple Queens next highest year of $14.6 million.
• Growing the Queens Fund (annual fund) by 11% since 2009, and increasing the number of donors by 15%.
• Increasing the number of new planned gift commitments made annually by nearly 50% since 2009.
Kathie Grigg is an alumna of Queens and a longtime member and former Chair of the Queens Fund Advisory Board; she and her husband Bill Grigg are also major donors to Queens. Kathie says, "James makes you feel like you are a part of something important, something great . . . he's passionate about Queens, but in a quiet way. He just makes you want to join the momentum and give."
As a manager, James sets clear priorities, leads by example, and coaches staff members through new experiences and decisions.
With donors, James takes ample time to learn about their passions and priorities, and to help them get to know Queens. He is deft at creating personal touches that make people feel valued and understood. He loves great stories, and family, and he sincerely connects with people. He laughs and cries as he recounts anecdotes from his many years of fundraising, and those around him do the same. It is this sincerity of emotion that enables James to connect with, and inspire gifts from, donors from so many walks of life.
In addition to his work at Queens, James still works with other institution through Bullock Development Consulting. His clients include Mars Hill College in Mars Hill, NC, Watauga Medical Center in Boone, NC, Charles A. Cannon Hospital in Linville, NC, Emory & Henry College in Emory, VA, and Millsaps College in Jackson, MS.
- Dr. Roger Baumgarte, author of "Friends Beyond Borders," to present at Queens
- Triathlete Holly Annas '12 demonstrates world-class endurance and enthusiasm
- Dean Eric Freedman appointed to the Library Board of Trustees
- The Duke Endowment awards Queens a $478,593 research grant
- Queens takes part in the Campus Election Engagement Project
- Internship & Career Programs Welcomes Jennifer Hull, Assistant Director
- Second Novel Book Deal
- The Dean's Digest - October 2014
- Wildacres 2014
- Political Science for Visual People