Sophomore Honored For Community Service
Queens University sophomore Julie Lang is one of seventeen students across the state to receive the 2012 Community Impact Award. Given by North Carolina Campus Compact, the award recognizes college students who make significant, innovative efforts to address local community needs.
For the past two years, Lang has volunteered twice a week as a lunch buddy and mentor at Sedgefield Elementary School. Now a well-known face at the school, Lang's commitment to children there led her to organize a school supply drive this summer. The effort collected over 1000 new pencils, 200 notebooks and 200 glue sticks. Lang also started a letter-writing campaign to encourage university administrators to provide transportation to Sedgefield for Queens student volunteers. Lang is from Davidson, NC.
The community service award is presented at North Carolina Campus Compact's annual student conference. NC Campus Compact is an association of colleges and universities committed to fostering campus-community engagement. Since 2002, the Compact has hosted a conference where student leaders learn and share strategies to address community issues.
This year's event, held at UNC Wilmington on November 3rd, brought together 125 students from 18 campuses. Keynote speaker Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen, presented the award. Lang also received a Certificate of Appreciation from NC Governor Bev Perdue.
- Funderburk Publishes Poetry, MFA Faculty Named Genius Award Winners
- Davis and Gatterdam Awarded for Philanthropy
- General Hayden and Sir John Scarlett Discuss National Security at Learning Society Event
- Dr. Lyons Named 2016 North Carolina Sport Management Coalition Educator of the Year
- Queens Begins Construction on Region’s First World-Class Field Hockey Facility
- Queens Unveils Lounge for Veteran and Military Students
- Men's Basketball Defeats VCU in Exhibition Game
- Students, Faculty Meet with Journalists from Around the World to Discuss Election
- Alumna Participates in Queens-CMS Literacy Educator Partnership
- Queens Collegiate 100 Acknowledged As Best Chapter in U.S.