Sophomore Honored For Community Service
Queens University sophomore Julie Lang is one of seventeen students across the state to receive the 2012 Community Impact Award. Given by North Carolina Campus Compact, the award recognizes college students who make significant, innovative efforts to address local community needs.
For the past two years, Lang has volunteered twice a week as a lunch buddy and mentor at Sedgefield Elementary School. Now a well-known face at the school, Lang's commitment to children there led her to organize a school supply drive this summer. The effort collected over 1000 new pencils, 200 notebooks and 200 glue sticks. Lang also started a letter-writing campaign to encourage university administrators to provide transportation to Sedgefield for Queens student volunteers. Lang is from Davidson, NC.
The community service award is presented at North Carolina Campus Compact's annual student conference. NC Campus Compact is an association of colleges and universities committed to fostering campus-community engagement. Since 2002, the Compact has hosted a conference where student leaders learn and share strategies to address community issues.
This year's event, held at UNC Wilmington on November 3rd, brought together 125 students from 18 campuses. Keynote speaker Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen, presented the award. Lang also received a Certificate of Appreciation from NC Governor Bev Perdue.
- Queens Student Sells Jewelry to Raise Money for the Dominican Republic
- Royals Swimmer Working Toward Olympic Team
- Case Competition Scholarship Leads Mitchel Sayers '16 to Excel at McColl School
- Queens Welcomes Four More to its Growing Triathlon Team
- Dr. Suzanne Henderson to Participate in Teaching Interfaith Understanding Seminar
- Truly Connected City Takes More Than Google Fiber
- Dean Eric Freedman Profiled in Charlotte Agenda
- USA Triathlon Awards Queens a Grant to Develop Team and Strengthen Olympic Pipeline
- Queens Honors the Browns with Unveiling of Hall Brown Terrace
- Many Individuals Honored at Queens' 2015 Commencement