Queens Represents at Nation's Largest Literary Event
Fourteen Queens MFA faculty and instructors will serve as panelists and readers at the Annual Conference of the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP, of which the Queens MFA Program is a member). This year nearly 10,000 writers, teachers, students, editors, and publishers are registered to attend in Chicago March 1-3, making the AWP Conference one of the largest literary events in the country.
Program Director Fred Leebron will be chairing a panel of all-Queens faculty members including Katherine Min (representing fiction), Andrew Levy (nonfiction), Brigdhe Mullins (stage and screen) and Alan Michael Parker (poetry) on why time is the most crucial element in all genres of creative writing. Founding faculty member Pinckney Benedict will serve on a panel exploring "apocolyptic literature." Alan Michael Parker, who, in addition to teaching in the MFA program here Queens, also directs Creative Writing at Davidson College, will participate in a panel exploring the range of ways to shape a first poetry collection. Novelist Lauren Groff will discuss incorporating evil into fiction. Poet Nick Lantz will talk about what it's really like to win a book contest, novelist Patricia Powell will reflect on how her Jamacain heritage is reflected in her work, and the poet, essayist, and critic Robert Polito will talk about writing biography, and the intersection between the personal and critical essays on two different panels. Poet and essayist Rebecca McClanahan will give a reading of her work as a part of her association with the Kenyon Review. Local novelist and freelance writer Kim Wright Wiley, an instructor and long-time friend of the MFA program, will lead two panels on the publication process.For a comprehensive list of Queens-related events at the conference please see our events page.
- Queens Announces Cherie Swarthout as Director of Athletics
- MFA Residency Welcomes Talented Faculty and Students, Congratulates Graduates
- Students Create Impactful Public Service Announcements
- Queens Celebrates Visionary Women
- Many Individuals Honored at Queens' 2016 Commencement
- Queens Dedicates Campus Spaces to Honor Supportive Donors
- Queens Graduate's Sisters Rally Around Her
- Commencement 2016
- Dr. Michele Shaul Wins the Hunter-Hamilton Love of Teaching Award
- Music Therapy Students Awarded Scholarships