McColl Alumni Raises Funds with 24 Hours of Booty
On July 27-28, 2012, a team 23 of alumni, students, staff and friends of the McColl School of Business came together to fight cancer as a team in 24 Hours of Booty. 24 Hours of Booty is the Official 24-Hour Cycling Event of LIVESTRONGTM, and raises vital funds for local and national cancer charities. Held along the streets bordering the Queens campus, this is not a race, but "a ride with purpose."
The team raised over $14,500 which contributed to the $1.4MM that was raised through the event. To kick-off the ride and celebrate their success, the majority of the team participated in a ceremonial first lap on July 27 to start their individual rides. McColl alums were present to cheer them on!
For one team member this ride held special significance; Ed Coambs PMBA '09 is not only an active member of our alumni association but also a cancer survivor. His wife and fellow teammate Amy and his son, Blaine, joined him for the ride. After the weekend, Ed reflected on the experience sharing that "tears filled my eyes as I rode around the Booty loop Friday night. I finally came to terms with the fact that I am a cancer Survivor. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Melanoma Cancer, just three months before the birth of my first son. Now two years later as I rolled around the Booty loop pulling my son in a bike trailer, the significance of the 24hrs of Booty hit me. People where riding in support of me and the many others who have been, are, and will be affected by cancer." When asked about how the McColl School fits into this event Coambs stated "The McColl School students and alumni not only talk about commitment to community, they live it out."
Total mileage for the team is still being calculated, however several teammates rode 100+ miles and some as much as 175 miles total!
Three local businesses are sponsored the team to cover the cost of custom McColl jerseys, and every dollar raised by the team will go to 24 Hours of Booty to support cancer charities, research and programs.
24 Hours of Booty is a 501c3, headquartered in Charlotte, NC. For more information on the organization, please visit: http://www.24hoursofbooty.org or contact the 24 Hours of Booty office at 704-365-4417.
- The Dean's Perspective - October 2015
- International Teacher Training Develops Leadership and Cultural Competencies Skills in Pre-service Teachers
- Queens Announces University Snapchat Account
- Women's Basketball Team Partners with Samaritan's Feet to Provide Kids With Shoes
- Science Methods Students Lead Science Club at Pinewood Genius Hour
- Queens Receives $2 Million Gift to Establish Preyer Honors and Fellows Programs
- Cato Student Research Leads to Pursuing Grant
- Queens Alumni Assist 'The Lunch Project' Feed Children, Better Their Education
- Freshmen Connect Through Interfaith Urban Immersion Experience
- Queens Participates in Heart Walk, Supports American Heart Association