Maggie Hill of Charlotte wins McColl case competition for high schoolers
Maggie Hill of Charlotte recently won first place in the first McColl School of Business Case Competition at Queens University of Charlotte.
The competition for high school seniors challenged students to analyze and determine the course of action for a company facing a serious business problem. Then the students presented their solution to a panel of professors, business leaders and current business students.
Hill won a $7,500 scholarship renewable for four years at Queens, besting 17 other competitors from across the country.
Second place winner, Kristin Diemer of Oak Ridge, N.C., won $5,000 per year scholarship for four years. Joseph Vaughn of Gastonia and Michaella Sheridan of Boston tied for third place and each won $2,500 for four years. Finally, honorable mentions and $1,000 scholarships went to Ben Lando from Columbus, Ohio; Jason Dimitriou from Charlotte; Caroline Depuma from Spanish Fort, Ala., and Scott Donachie from Wilton, Conn.
The case they analyzed concerned Chiquita Banana's difficulties with a terrorist organization in Colombia and was written by McColl professors Brad Brooks and Steven Cox.
"It was such a pleasure to watch these bright high school students stretch to compete in a college level analysis," Cox said. "We look forward to seeing them develop as Queens students."
The McColl School of Business offers a major in Business Administration leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree. The courses emphasize the concepts and skills needed to understand business practices, organizations and managerial responsibilities. There are optional specializations in finance, marketing and entrepreneurship with the Business major. The McColl School also offers several masters degree programs.
- Q&A With Dean Richard Mathieu of the McColl School of Business
- Malek Jandali '97 Attributes Success to Queens Education
- Mayoral Debate To Be Held at Queens Sports Complex
- The Knight School Works to Bridge Digital Divide with Digital Inclusion Project Manager
- Queens Welcomes New Dean of the McColl School Richard Mathieu
- Queens Students Help Build McCreesh Community
- Queens Recognized as Top Fundraising School for St. Jude's
- Students Gain Valuable Experience at Seacrest Studios Internship
- Quest for Wonder