Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Chamber Singers Learn, Perform in NYC
- Queens is a leader in health care education
- McColl School Graduate Students Benefit from Executive Coaching
- Peter Browning and Will Sparks Co-Author "The Director's Manual: A Framework for Board Governance"
- Students Embrace Community Service to Honor Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Cell Biology Students Judge Sedgefield Elementary Science Fair
- Students Create Fairy Tale Reenactments for Spanish-Speaking Preschoolers
- Bart Lundy Leads Men's Basketball to National Ranking
- Father and Son Contribute to Queens' Basketball Success
- Chi Omega Raises $6,000 to Grant a Little Girl's Wish