Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Author Michael Lewis Shares His Thoughts on Wall Street
- Jeff Brown Named Ally CEO
- Jane McIntyre Named Charlotte's 2014 Woman of the Year
- Local Author Helen Weaver Speaks at Queens to Encourage Students' Fundraising Campaign for St. Jude
- The Dean's Digest - February 2015
- Queens to Expand and Enhance Knight School of Communication with $3 Million Gift
- Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Captivates Audience at Spring Convocation
- Professor Tosha Arriola Served as Event Chair for Mayor's Mentoring Alliance Ceremony
- MFA Events, Undergraduate Workshop Engage Community of Writers
- Alumnus Brian Williams '09 Featured in Creative Loafing