Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Queens Celebrates Leaders at Student Life Awards
- Queens Raises Awareness on Voting, Topics for 2016 Presidential Election
- Alumni Reunion 2016 Welcomes Over 200 Alumni
- Biology Senior Discovers Bacteriophage During Honors Thesis Research
- Queens Announces 2016 Commencement Speakers
- Brand Awakening
- Students 'Rock the Mock' and Gain Invaluable Interview Experience
- Scholars Luncheon Celebrates Donors and the Queens Experience
- Students Raise Over $45,000 for St. Jude Up 'til Dawn
- Affirming Queens' Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion