Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- International Teacher Training Develops Leadership and Cultural Competencies Skills in Pre-service Teachers
- Queens Announces University Snapchat Account
- Women's Basketball Team Partners with Samaritan's Feet to Provide Kids With Shoes
- Science Methods Students Lead Science Club at Pinewood Genius Hour
- Queens Receives $2 Million Gift to Establish Preyer Honors and Fellows Programs
- Cato Student Research Leads to Pursuing Grant
- Queens Alumni Assist 'The Lunch Project' Feed Children, Better Their Education
- Freshmen Connect Through Interfaith Urban Immersion Experience
- Queens Participates in Heart Walk, Supports American Heart Association
- Famed Horowitz Piano Comes to Queens