Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Truly Connected City Takes More Than Google Fiber
- Dean Eric Freedman Profiled in Charlotte Agenda
- USA Triathlon Awards Queens a Grant to Develop Team and Strengthen Olympic Pipeline
- Queens Honors the Browns with Unveiling of Hall Brown Terrace
- Many Individuals Honored at Queens' 2015 Commencement
- Chaplain Diane Mowrey Wins the 2015 Hunter Hamilton Love of Teaching Award
- A Life of Service
- Congratulations Graduates of 2015!
- The Kathryn L. Grigg '87 Courtyard and Outdoor Classroom Adds Beauty to Campus
- Queens Students Cycle Across U.S. to Fundraise for Children with Disabilities.