Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Professor Morri Creech is named a Pulitzer Prize Finalist
- Dr. Best Co-authors Textbook Chapter
- Queens students and alumni rub elbows with top employers at Schmoozapalooza
- Queens participates in the Washington Model for the Organization of American States
- Queens students organize a community forum to discuss immigration
- Professor Israel's Poem Published in Queens Magazine.
- Dr, Perkins Will Present a Climate Change Paper at Meeting
- Dr. Patrick Connor, Panthers head team physician, gives a behind-the-scenes look at sports medicine
- Dr. Commins Publishes Article
- Multimedia Concert of Bach's Cello Suite