Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Chuck Wendig '98 Conjures the Force to Discuss His 'Star Wars' Novel
- Megan Wagner '16 Lands Internship-to-Career Opportunity at Siemens Energy
- Charlotte Agenda Declares Men's Basketball Team as 'Charlotte's Team'
- Holly Lane '15 Wins 'Best Student Film' at 100 Words Film Festival
- President Davies Receives Excellence in Leadership Award
- Sally Van Cleve '17 Receives Community Impact Award
- Students Conduct Mock Interviews with Employer Volunteers
- Queens Women's Triathlon Team Wins National Title in First Year
- Generous Gift Positions Queens as Leader in Social Justice
- The Learning Society Shapes Intellectual Dialogue by Hosting Sir Salman Rushdie