Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Davis and Gatterdam Awarded for Philanthropy
- General Hayden and Sir John Scarlett Discuss National Security at Learning Society Event
- Dr. Lyons Named 2016 North Carolina Sport Management Coalition Educator of the Year
- Queens Begins Construction on Region’s First World-Class Field Hockey Facility
- Queens Unveils Lounge for Veteran and Military Students
- Men's Basketball Defeats VCU in Exhibition Game
- Students, Faculty Meet with Journalists from Around the World to Discuss Election
- Alumna Participates in Queens-CMS Literacy Educator Partnership
- Queens Collegiate 100 Acknowledged As Best Chapter in U.S.
- Queens Celebrates Banned Book Week