Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Q&A With Dean Richard Mathieu of the McColl School of Business
- Malek Jandali '97 Attributes Success to Queens Education
- Mayoral Debate To Be Held at Queens Sports Complex
- The Knight School Works to Bridge Digital Divide with Digital Inclusion Project Manager
- Queens Welcomes New Dean of the McColl School Richard Mathieu
- Queens Students Help Build McCreesh Community
- Queens Recognized as Top Fundraising School for St. Jude's
- Students Gain Valuable Experience at Seacrest Studios Internship
- Quest for Wonder