Michael Murphy Establishes Scholarship at Queens
Murphy's gift will receive an equal match through the Byrum Challenge, a Queens initiative made possible by Charlotte attorney Porter B. Byrum, bringing the endowed scholarship fund to $100,000.
"We are honored Michael has decided to establish a scholarship at Queens. Support from alumni enables the university to continue providing the quality education they received as students," said James Bullock, Vice President for University Advancement.
Murphy's grandfather, Charles H. Murphy, Jr., founded what would become Murphy Oil Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. Murphy Oil later established the El Dorado Promise, which provides full-tuition scholarships to all graduates of El Dorado public schools. The Michael W. Murphy '95 Endowed Scholarship at Queens continues the Murphy family's commitment to higher education.
Murphy recently visited Queens to deliver the keynote address at the university's annual Scholars Luncheon, where he spoke enthusiastically to 250 donors and students.
"More often than not, education takes a back seat to other priorities. Now, more than ever, we need well-educated men and women in the work force. We need them to be creative, start new companies, and encourage job growth, wherever they may be," said Murphy.
- Queens Collegiate 100 Acknowledged As Best Chapter in U.S.
- Queens Celebrates Banned Book Week
- Dr. John Bennett Writes Article for The Employers Association
- CBJ Features Queens’ Entrepreneur Leadership Circle
- Queens Prepares Community for Election Season
- Queens Helps Repair Charlotte Through Art
- Students Welcome Loved Ones to Family Weekend 2016
- Queens Rallies Together in Time of Need
- Queens Alerts Students of Sexual Misconduct Cases on Campus
- Queens once again makes U.S. News & World Report's Top 25 List