Queens Partners with the Carolina Raptor Center to Host a Bird Biology Workshop
From Raleigh, NC to Greenville, SC, elementary and junior high school teachers from all around the region came together to attend a raptor workshop that was co-sponsored by Queens Biology department and the Carolina Raptor Center (CRC).
Led by Karan Barber, a Queens student and education specialist at CRC, and Assistant Biology Professor Jeff Thomas, each workshop participant learned about bird biology while performing avian autopsies and dissections. In addition to participating in the on-campus workshop, students from Dr. Thomas' comparative physiology class were also part of a behind-the-scenes tour focused on raptor behavior.
CRC collaborates with universities, such as Queens, on research projects that advance knowledge of raptor biology and treatment and the environmental health of our world in general. CRC's educational programs reach approximately 40,000 students each year.
The workshop also included an up-close visit and demonstration with the largest common owl in the east, the Great Horned Owl. Jim Warren, CRC executive director, led the demonstration and pointed out the owl's unique features, such as its squared off head, prominent widely spaced ear tufts and large yellow eyes.
"Our collaboration with the CRC has been a wonderful way for Queens students to get hand-on learning and practical experience with an amazing resource that's here in our own backyard," said Dr. Thomas.
Learn more about the Carolina Raptor Center.
- Queens to Dedicate Porter B. Byrum Hall in Honor of Largest Gift in the University’s History
- The McColl School of Business Announces New Executive Director of Executive Leadership
- Royals Field Hockey Signs First Student-Athlete
- The Dean's Digest - March 2015
- Eboo Patel, Interfaith Champion, to Speak at Queens
- Queens MFA Instructor Claudia Rankine Receives NBCC Award
- President Davies to Receive the Sydnor Thompson Community Leader Award
- The Friends of the Library Welcomed Award Winning Authors To Campus
- The McColl School of Business Announces New Dean
- Author Michael Lewis Shares His Thoughts on Wall Street