Queens Partners with the Carolina Raptor Center to Host a Bird Biology Workshop
From Raleigh, NC to Greenville, SC, elementary and junior high school teachers from all around the region came together to attend a raptor workshop that was co-sponsored by Queens Biology department and the Carolina Raptor Center (CRC).
Led by Karan Barber, a Queens student and education specialist at CRC, and Assistant Biology Professor Jeff Thomas, each workshop participant learned about bird biology while performing avian autopsies and dissections. In addition to participating in the on-campus workshop, students from Dr. Thomas' comparative physiology class were also part of a behind-the-scenes tour focused on raptor behavior.
CRC collaborates with universities, such as Queens, on research projects that advance knowledge of raptor biology and treatment and the environmental health of our world in general. CRC's educational programs reach approximately 40,000 students each year.
The workshop also included an up-close visit and demonstration with the largest common owl in the east, the Great Horned Owl. Jim Warren, CRC executive director, led the demonstration and pointed out the owl's unique features, such as its squared off head, prominent widely spaced ear tufts and large yellow eyes.
"Our collaboration with the CRC has been a wonderful way for Queens students to get hand-on learning and practical experience with an amazing resource that's here in our own backyard," said Dr. Thomas.
Learn more about the Carolina Raptor Center.
- Music Therapy Students Awarded Scholarships
- Queens Celebrates Leaders at Student Life Awards
- Queens Raises Awareness on Voting, Topics for 2016 Presidential Election
- Alumni Reunion 2016 Welcomes Over 200 Alumni
- Biology Senior Discovers Bacteriophage During Honors Thesis Research
- Queens Announces 2016 Commencement Speakers
- Brand Awakening
- Students 'Rock the Mock' and Gain Invaluable Interview Experience
- Scholars Luncheon Celebrates Donors and the Queens Experience
- Students Raise Over $45,000 for St. Jude Up 'til Dawn