Queens hosts more than 100 youth for MLK Jr. Day celebration
Annual Day of Service at Queens will focus on providing a fun day for at-risk youth
More than 100 at-risk youth will spend the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday from school visiting Queens University of Charlotte.
Through a partnership with Right Moves for Youth, Queens volunteers will lead programs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 18, for the students. The nonprofit organization was founded in 1993 by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer Dave Scheppegrell and Charlotte businessman Frank Bragg. It employs a unique collaboration with the police department, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, the Mecklenburg County Sherriff's Office along with other community partners to help students in grades 4-12 improve their school attendance, behavior and academic performance.
At Queens, the students will separate into small groups to learn about the life of Martin Luther King Jr., and "hopefully be inspired anew to lead lives defined by justice and mercy," said Alice O'Toole, director of outreach and fellowship at Queens, and one of the event organizers along with Mary Norris, Araminta Johnston and Benardo Dargan.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-ed, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university with a commitment to both liberal arts and professional studies. Located in the heart of historic Charlotte, Queens serves approximately 2,500 undergraduate and graduate students through its College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the Presbyterian School of Nursing, the Wayland H. Cato, Jr. School of Education, the School of Communication and Hayworth College for Adult Studies.
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Office of Marketing & Community Relations
Queens University of Charlotte
1900 Selwyn Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28274
|Royals Athletics Contact:
- Freshmen Connect Through Interfaith Urban Immersion Experience
- Mayoral Debate To Be Held at Queens Sports Complex
- Queens Holds First STEM Camp
- Queens Hosts Under Armour All-America Camp
- Queens to Break Ground on State-of-the-Art Tennis Center
- Queens Student Sells Jewelry to Raise Money for the Dominican Republic
- Royals Swimmer Working Toward Olympic Team
- Queens Welcomes Four More to its Growing Triathlon Team
- USA Triathlon Awards Queens a Grant to Develop Team and Strengthen Olympic Pipeline
- Queens Honors the Browns with Unveiling of Hall Brown Terrace