Queens hosts more than 100 youth for MLK Jr. Day celebration
Annual Day of Service at Queens will focus on providing a fun day for at-risk youth
More than 100 at-risk youth will spend the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday from school visiting Queens University of Charlotte.
Through a partnership with Right Moves for Youth, Queens volunteers will lead programs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 18, for the students. The nonprofit organization was founded in 1993 by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer Dave Scheppegrell and Charlotte businessman Frank Bragg. It employs a unique collaboration with the police department, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, the Mecklenburg County Sherriff's Office along with other community partners to help students in grades 4-12 improve their school attendance, behavior and academic performance.
At Queens, the students will separate into small groups to learn about the life of Martin Luther King Jr., and "hopefully be inspired anew to lead lives defined by justice and mercy," said Alice O'Toole, director of outreach and fellowship at Queens, and one of the event organizers along with Mary Norris, Araminta Johnston and Benardo Dargan.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-ed, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university with a commitment to both liberal arts and professional studies. Located in the heart of historic Charlotte, Queens serves approximately 2,500 undergraduate and graduate students through its College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the Presbyterian School of Nursing, the Wayland H. Cato, Jr. School of Education, the School of Communication and Hayworth College for Adult Studies.
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Office of Marketing & Community Relations
Queens University of Charlotte
1900 Selwyn Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28274
|Royals Athletics Contact:
- Local Author Helen Weaver Speaks at Queens to Encourage Students' Fundraising Campaign for St. Jude
- Queens to Expand and Enhance Knight School of Communication with $3 Million Gift
- Queens in Charlotte Magazine Coverage of SwimMAC CEO
- 2014 NSSE Report Ranks Queens Among Top Schools
- Byrd's Resilience Earns Her All-American Honors
- Josa to Compete for Team USA in 2015 World University Games
- Queens announces addition of NCAA Division II women's field hockey program
- Dr. Roger Baumgarte, author of "Friends Beyond Borders," to present at Queens
- Triathlete Holly Annas '12 demonstrates world-class endurance and enthusiasm
- Queens brings acclaimed author, speaker and fundraiser Dan Pallotta to Charlotte