Royals debut Alter G
Track and Field and Cross Country Coach Scott Simmons recently unveiled an Alter-G Anti-Gravity Treadmill, making Queens one of only two N.C. schools to own the high tech equipment.
With a lead gift from Aubrey Hilliard of Texican Horizon Energy, the Royals can now offer this top-of-the-line piece of training equipment for athletes.
Simmons launched a fundraising effort in May 2010 as the NCAA DII Track and Field Championships were hosted in Charlotte.
"We are happy to be able to help," said Hilliard. "I understand that one unavoidable aspect of training to be a world class athlete is injuries. Alter-G is the best option for training through those times and we are proud to help Queens' athletic program with this gift."
The Alter-G Anti-Gravity treadmill allows athletes to train at reduced body-weights. Not only does it allow injured runners to continue training, but its use actually facilitates recovery. Athletes all over the world can use the special treadmill, and groups including the Department of Defense rely on it for rehabilitation, physical therapists for pre and post-operative rehab, as well as seniors who may have degenerative issues and severe arthritis.
"While we can use the Alter-G to address injuries, we are also using it in other important ways," said Simmons. "From an injury preventative standpoint, we can safely add training volume as an athlete adapts to higher workloads. We have also found it to be useful for our middle-distance runners in providing a faster recovery effort than easy jogging or pool workouts. The Alter-G helps stimulates the central nervous system while minimizing gravity stresses."
The Alter-G, which is FDA approved for training and rehab, works be by using air in a pressure-controlled chamber to gently lift the user. More information on the Alter-G can be found by clicking here.
- Queens examines what millennials and managers expect
- Queens' Kinesiology Department introduces fitness testing program
- Conference Presentation
- Dr. Henderson Featured in New Curriculum
- Queens Chamber Singers announce their upcoming choral concert
- Geography: The Human and Physical World on shelves now!
- Queens honored at the 6th Annual CREative Thinkers Awards
- Queens Ranked #7 in CEO Magazine's "Global MBA" 2014 Rankings
- McColl School Corporate Networking Events
- Julie Funderburk Publishes Chapbook