Queens Graduates Its Inaugural School Executive Leadership Academy Cohort
Seven talented individuals gathered at Queens Sports Complex for the School Executive Leadership Academy (SELA) graduation ceremony. They are the first students to graduate from SELA, a 14-month long program started at Queens in 2012 to better prepare school principals.
The program is quickly becoming popular as interested students realize a principal's job has significantly changed over the years, therefore, so should the process and education to become one. Principals are no longer administrators and task managers but rather school executives. SELA is designed to prepare this type of executive leader by giving them the skills and knowledge necessary to lead changes in today's schools.
Approved by the North Carolina State Board of Education, SELA provides a transformational experience for aspiring school leaders through a partnership among Queens' Cato School of Education, Queens' McColl School of Business and Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools.
Unlike traditional masters of school administration programs, the program combines education with the business of developing leaders to accelerate the flow of qualified leaders into schools. It is a highly experiential and relevant program, placing participants in a variety of situations built around a simulated school that replicates real challenges a school principal faces.
According to one of the graduates, "The professors and facilitators' depth of knowledge and experience - ranging from business, education, law and human relations - along with their genuine care for each member of our cohort, set the stage for what was a very powerful experience for us all."
Learn more about SELA and how to apply to the program.
- On Giving Tuesday, Queens students bond with the homeless community
- Professor Suzanne Henderson aims to help Christians reclaim the earliest roots of their faith
- Students at Queens show off their fashion sense for the Charlotte Observer
- Queens Internships and Career Center Update
- The Dean's Digest - November 2013
- Dr. Galleno's Article Published
- For the first time in history, Queens now offers basketball season tickets
- Dr. Cox and Students Present at Symposium
- Dr. Perkins and Students Present at Symposium
- Queens kicks off football feasibility study