Queens' MFA Program Outshines Competition at Literary Awards
Queens University of Charlotte's MFA Creative Writing Program pulled off its own hat trick at the 2013 Santa Fe Writer's Project (SFWP) Literary Awards, claiming the top prize and both runner-up prizes.
MFA graduate April L. Ford took the grand prize for her short story collection, The Poor Children. MFA graduate Stephen Eoannou scored a runner-up prize for his story collection, Muscle Cars, while MFA faculty member Daniel Mueller grabbed the other runner-up prize for Nights I Dreamed of Hubert Humphrey, a collection of fiction. The SFWP is a prestigious organization established in 1998 to foster the art of writing. This year's awards winners were chosen from a field of more than 300 writers. Many of the past winners have gone on to achieve great success in the literary world.
Queens' MFA program offers established and emerging writers the opportunity to improve their craft through an intensive online and in-residence program that puts them in touch with other writers and superbly talented faculty. Writers may choose to study fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction or writing for stage and screen. The program is four semesters long and requires a seven day in-residence session twice a year. As a testament to Queens' long-standing commitment to providing an excellent education, the MFA program is consistently ranked in the top tier of low-residency MFA programs by Poets & Writer's magazine.
- The Dean's Digest - December 2014
- 2014 NSSE Report Ranks Queens Among Top Schools
- Dr. Tama Morris Named Dean of Blair College of Health, Director of PSN
- Byrd's Resilience Earns Her All-American Honors
- Josa to Compete for Team USA in 2015 World University Games
- The Dean's Digest - November 2014
- Queens announces addition of NCAA Division II women's field hockey program
- The Entrepreneur Leadership Circle holds its 2014 Hall of Fame induction event
- Dr. Roger Baumgarte, author of "Friends Beyond Borders," to present at Queens
- Triathlete Holly Annas '12 demonstrates world-class endurance and enthusiasm