Scholar to discuss racism Oct. 20
Greg Tanaka is an acclaimed author and scholar, and appears as part of the Diversity Lecture Series
Charlotte, N.C. (Oct. 13, 2010) - The Office of Multicultural Affairs at Queens University of Charlotte will host speaker Greg Tanaka for the fall Diversity Lecture Series.
The 6:30 p.m. event in Sykes Auditorium, 1900 Selwyn Ave., is free and open to the public.
Tanaka will present "On Casual Racism: Experiencing Mutual Immanence." Used successfully at a number of U.S. colleges and universities, this interactive storytelling workshop marks a new approach to addressing diversity. Participants will learn how to minimize casual racism and stereotyping in a safe and guided context, and discover what it feels like to help each other along the way.
Tanaka is a visiting professor in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at UCLA. He is the author of the critically acclaimed book "The Intercultural Campus: Transcending Culture and Power in American Higher Education."
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-ed, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university with a commitment to both liberal arts and professional studies. Located in the heart of historic Charlotte, Queens serves approximately 2,700 undergraduate and graduate students through its College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the Wayland H. Cato, Jr. School of Education, the James L. Knight School of Communication, Hayworth College for Adult Studies and the Andrew Blair College of Health which features the Presbyterian School of Nursing.
# # #
Queens University of Charlotte Name Usage Guidelines:
Queens University of Charlotte
- Queens Designated As Voter Friendly Campus
- Business Continuity Management Course Offers Best Practices for Disaster Recovery
- Queens Adds Women's and Men's Rugby
- Queens Adds Baseball To Athletics
- Dr. Engen Collaborates with Local High School Student
- Queens Faculty Demonstrate Expertise on WFAE, Other Sources
- Alumna Named Georgia's Elementary Science Teacher of the Year
- Knight School Launches Community Partnership With Google Fiber
- Professor Jonas Discusses Healthcare on WFAE
- Queens Announces First Destination Report