Social Media Conference held at Queens
The School of Communication at Queens University of Charlotte and the Charlotte Observer hosted a Social Media Conference January 23, 2010 on the school's campus. Twenty presenters and 240 participants in the sold-out conference participated in sessions such as "Social Media 101, an introduction to social media," "Creating a community website," and "Looking good - how to make a visual impact on the web." The main goal of the conference, according to luncheon keynote speaker Jeff Elder: "To make social media work for you."
Featured presenters included the Charlotte Observer's Rick Thames, Steve Gunn, Jen Rothacke Bill Pitzer, and Cheryl Carpenter; local social media entrepreneurs Crystal Dempsey, Jeff Elder, Scott Hepburn, and Jason Silverstein; Charlotte-area social media strategists and designers Ben Ullman, Steve Sherron, Caroline Adams, Glenn Burkins, and Lisa Hoffman; and Queens University of Charlotte's Van King and John A. McArthur.
Queens communication majors Paige Gentry, Liz Hamm, Kaitlin Ingram, Taylor Jacobs, Katherine Johnson, and Timothy Snedeker served on the conference staff.
The conference was featured in the Charlotte Observer on Jan. 24, 2010. Read the article here.
Attendees and presenters posted photos of the conference through their Twitter accounts using hashtag #cltsoc. Links to some of their tweets and photos include:
- Truly Connected City Takes More Than Google Fiber
- Dean Eric Freedman Profiled in Charlotte Agenda
- Dean Eric Freedman appointed to the Library Board of Trustees
- The Queens Chronicle wins an award as a result of design and technology advances
- The Knight School takes another step toward making Charlotte a model city for digital literacy
- Queens examines what millennials and managers expect
- Professor Mohammed el-Nawawy Releases "Egyptian Revolution 2.0"
- Queens Combines Digital Media and Community Engagement in an Experiment of “Flash Philanthropy”
- Queens University of Charlotte Launches Online Master’s in Communication
- Fall '12 Knight School of Communication Dean's List