Introducing the Adelaide Anderson Davis Scholarship
There was a lot of sneakiness on campus to keep a secret from a well known Queens alumna, Adelaide Anderson Davis, Class of '61.
More than 50 years ago, 18-year-old Adelaide Anderson entered what was then Queens College. Little did she know that her choice to attend Queens would shape the rest of her life; from meeting and marrying her husband, Ned, to befriending many people including classmates and colleagues. Her love of Queens has extended from her days as a student to being an integral member of the Alumni and Advancement staff. Adelaide holds a special place in the hearts of many of Queens alumni and friends. During the weekend of April 29-30, 2011, Adelaide and her classmates celebrated their 50th Reunion. Because of this, a surprise honor was bestowed upon her for all she has done for Queens.
A few of Adelaide's friends - Kathie Grigg, Frances Evans, Lyttleton Hollowell, and Sue Ross - and Queens' Annual Giving and Advancement staff had been keeping this honor a secret from Adelaide for months. Without her knowing, they reached out to many of her closest friends and classmates to raise the funds for Queens newest Presidential Scholarship - the Adelaide Anderson Davis Scholarship in honor of Adelaide's 50th Queens Reunion. Through their efforts and the generosity of her friends $150,000 has been raised for this scholarship.
This exciting announcement was revealed at the Reunion 2011 Luncheon. President Pamela Davies presented this honor as more than 60 of Adelaide's closest friends who contributed to this scholarship surprised her by entering the dining room. She was completely surprised! And via video, Adelaide got to meet the impressive young woman from Atlanta who will be the first-ever Adelaide Anderson Davis Presidential Scholar and start her freshman year at Queens in the fall.
Adelaide is passionate about scholarships at Queens for deserving students. We couldn't think of a better way to honor someone so special to Queens than through the gift of the Queens experience for an outstanding student, who will carry on the enthusiasm and love for Queens that Adelaide has demonstrated for so many years.
We are continuing to let alumni and friends of Adelaide's know about this unique opportunity to recognize a special friend. If you would like to honor her through a gift to this scholarship visit the Queens Fund and make a note that your gift should go to the Adelaide Anderson Davis Scholarship. Or contact Laura Beth Ellis, director of Annual Leadership Giving, firstname.lastname@example.org or 704 337-2334.
- Funderburk Publishes Poetry, MFA Faculty Named Genius Award Winners
- Davis and Gatterdam Awarded for Philanthropy
- General Hayden and Sir John Scarlett Discuss National Security at Learning Society Event
- Dr. Lyons Named 2016 North Carolina Sport Management Coalition Educator of the Year
- Queens Begins Construction on Region’s First World-Class Field Hockey Facility
- Queens Unveils Lounge for Veteran and Military Students
- Men's Basketball Defeats VCU in Exhibition Game
- Students, Faculty Meet with Journalists from Around the World to Discuss Election
- Alumna Participates in Queens-CMS Literacy Educator Partnership
- Queens Collegiate 100 Acknowledged As Best Chapter in U.S.