The Dean's Digest
The last few weeks have been quite a whirlwind! Here's a recap of some of the fun and educational events:
- Wireman Golf Tournament - you can read all about the tournament recap.
- Carly Fiorina - sponsored by The Learning Society, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard Company made a presentation to our students and another to the public.
- Carolinas Entrepreneurial Hall of Fame induction - check out the story of the evening.
- Food for Thought - Will Sparks, Cathy Anderson and John Bennett delivered stimulating lunchtime lectures. John's was especially innovative as we used a webinar format.
- Leaders in Action - We welcomed Fred Whitfield, president and COO of the Charlotte Bobcats, to campus for another installment of our Leaders in Action lecture series.
- Meet the Judges - For undergraduates, we are holding a series of dinner conservations this fall between our students and a panel of judges.
- BB&T Leadership Challenge - off to the Wild Acres retreat in Little Switzerland, NC, we went to challenge our thinking through a sequence of debates. The ropes course exercise was fun too!
That is a pretty impressive list of activities!! Some that nurture your stomach, some stimulate your brain, and some bring you face-to-face with newsmakers and the captains of industry. I don't think any other business school in the region offers this variety of talent and thought leaders for its students, faculty and friends. McColl School Rules!
Back to that nurturing aspect, Steve Cox and I are well on our way to adding an inch or two around our waists. Once a week we have breakfast with freshmen business students and get to know them in an informal setting. Steve seems to like the "smoothies" the best. Me? I'm enjoying the coffee!
Speaking of coffee, Jamie Grauel and I launched the McColl Coffee Klatch, which is (another) early morning gathering of alums. We are on a "listening tour" to gauge their experiences with the McColl School and to help us vet a draft of the Vision 2017 statement. We would like to hear what you have to say and, most important, we would like your help in crafting the future of the McColl School. If you would like to participate, contact Jamie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-688-2703 and she will plug you in to an upcoming Coffee Klatch.
Finally, I am pleased to announce the creation of the Dean's Blog. On a regular basis I will try to keep you posted on immediate happenings at the McColl School. There is a button on the left side of the home page, or you can get an RSS feed by clicking here and we will do the rest!
We'd love to hear from you, we'd love to meet you for coffee some morning, and we would love for you to subscribe to the blog. It's your move.
- Tiny preemies get a boost from live music therapy
- Queens Announces MFA Faculty Readings
- The Dean's Digest - May 2013
- New Online Master of Arts in Educational Leadership
- Inaugural MS in Executive Coaching Class Graduates
- Queens Combines Digital Media and Community Engagement in an Experiment of “Flash Philanthropy”
- Sarah Creech's Novel Debut
- Spring MSOD Capstone Presentations
- Dr. Kevin L. Burke Presents on Contracts and Incentives
- Professor Bowen Talks to Charlotte Observer