New Milestone for Wireman Golf Tournament
When the 2013 Wireman Golf Tournament Committee began planning this year's tournament they knew the bar had been set high. The 2012 tournament was a record breaking year and expectations were to do the same again. The committee set an aggressive goal for the 7th annual tournament and not only did they met them, they set another new record!
The 7th Annual Billy O. Wireman Tournament was held on September 30, 2013 at the Golf Club at Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge. This is the third year that Ballantyne has hosted the tournament. An early morning chill soon faded and the 92 golfers had an absolutely perfect afternoon for the 2 p.m. shotgun start.
Tournament Chair Phillip Brant, PMBA '08 is gracious to the support of the many sponsors and volunteers involved. He says, "I would like to thank our gracious sponsors, the tournament committee and volunteers, the Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, and the alumni and friends of the McColl School who joined us for an outstanding event." After the round of golf, the evening concluded with a silent auction, live raffle, dinner and awards ceremony. As enjoyable as this day was, it is much more than an afternoon of golf and fellowship. The tournament raised over $45,000 for the McColl School Excellence Fund which supports graduate student fellowships.
The tournament began in 2006 to honor the legacy of the late Dr. Billy O. Wireman, president of Queens from 1978-2002, and to raise funds for merit and need based graduate student fellowships. For more information about the event sponsors and tournament committee visit the event website.
- Queens Announces 2017 Commencement Speaker
- Queens Student-Athlete's Triumph Over Cancer Featured on CNN Health Study
- Students Raise Nearly $20,000 for St. Jude Up 'til Dawn
- Queens' Veterans Support Featured in Charlotte Business Journal
- Queens Mourns the Passing of Porter B. Byrum
- Queens Designated As Voter Friendly Campus
- Business Continuity Management Course Offers Best Practices for Disaster Recovery
- Queens Adds Women's and Men's Rugby
- Queens Adds Baseball To Athletics
- Dr. Engen Collaborates with Local High School Student